Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 21:02
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Dec 4, 2005

It's a mess - but not my fault. The prime contractor (somewhere out there in Spain) uses STAR to divy up jobs down the food chain. They are inoccuous PPT, DOC etc files and I collected a sizeable TM on them.

After spending 15 minutes trying to learn again the Transit accelerators I gave up and translated the whole darn file (PXF contents) in TRADOS environment.

Now I have the problem of translating the original PXF with the new TM. I can use the T-Window for clipboard
... See more
It's a mess - but not my fault. The prime contractor (somewhere out there in Spain) uses STAR to divy up jobs down the food chain. They are inoccuous PPT, DOC etc files and I collected a sizeable TM on them.

After spending 15 minutes trying to learn again the Transit accelerators I gave up and translated the whole darn file (PXF contents) in TRADOS environment.

Now I have the problem of translating the original PXF with the new TM. I can use the T-Window for clipboard but there must be some other way...

BTW have access to a full-blown Transit XV

smo

PS: By the time this story is finished, I PROMISE to write an article about it.

Note added: sometimes it's PPT, sometimes it's DOC and sometimes it's PPT and DOC transformed into Transit PXFs - I know it's docs and ppts, beacuse I get english versions of the same to help me translate them - IN TRANSIT. If you don't get it, welcome to the crowd }}[

[Edited at 2005-12-04 14:31]
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
A few steps Dec 4, 2005

I personally prefer translating in Transit and usually resolve the opposite problem, but I rmemeber I had to do something similar some time ago:

. Export the TM from Trados to a TMX format (the highest version offered is OK, I think it is 1.4b)

. Import TMX to the Transit project you have received (you have received it, haven't you?) - you have to enter the imported file's name *including the extension* (which depends on the language) before the import is started - this
... See more
I personally prefer translating in Transit and usually resolve the opposite problem, but I rmemeber I had to do something similar some time ago:

. Export the TM from Trados to a TMX format (the highest version offered is OK, I think it is 1.4b)

. Import TMX to the Transit project you have received (you have received it, haven't you?) - you have to enter the imported file's name *including the extension* (which depends on the language) before the import is started - this is not very well explained in the Transit help and it gave me a hard time when I had to do it the first time.

. Open the imported file and change its status to "translated" (presumably, you will know how to do this?)

. Include the imported file into the project's reference material in "Project-Setttings"

. now the fuzzy search (if enabled and set properly) should offer you the translated segments during the translation in Transit and you can accept them using Alt+Enter; but if you have the original files (ppt) and are able to re-import them, the files should be pretranslated using the reference file at the import (saving your work) - the pretranslation (i.e., wheter it is executed and how) may depend on the project settings

Good luck, and perhaps you will find time to let the forum know how it went...

Antonin
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Problem not clear Dec 4, 2005

Vito, if you have "translated the whole darn file (PXF contents) in TRADOS environment", why do you want to re-translate it in Transit?

Or have you translated the individual files (PPT, DOC etc.) in Trados and now you want to use the resulting TM in Transit to translate the Transit project file?

Or what am I missing?

Endre

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
I was not clear - Input is PXF, requested output must be TXF Dec 4, 2005

Endre Both wrote:
Vito, if you have "translated the whole darn file (PXF contents) in TRADOS environment", why do you want to re-translate it in Transit?

I received the PXF and have to deliver in transit form as well, that's my problem.

Been playing monkey on the keyboard with Alt+ENTER and Ctrl+Cs the last half an hour and ... sigh ... there must be another way.

Thanks for caring!

smo

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
THAT sounds promising.... Will give it a try Dec 4, 2005

I appreciate and hope to be of a similar use down the road.

smo

Ilde Grimaldi
Ilde Grimaldi  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
I would also go as Antonin suggests Dec 4, 2005

I tried what Antonin suggests three times and I invite you to follow that suggestion. I tried it three times:
- One time it did not work as the project received from the agency was set in such a way (I believe) that the Import/Export tmx items where greyed out. It was a Sunday and I could not ask the client to recreate the project, so I had to paste 5000 words, segment by segment...
- Another time I managed to import the tmx memory, added it as reference, but it was not read at all,
... See more
I tried what Antonin suggests three times and I invite you to follow that suggestion. I tried it three times:
- One time it did not work as the project received from the agency was set in such a way (I believe) that the Import/Export tmx items where greyed out. It was a Sunday and I could not ask the client to recreate the project, so I had to paste 5000 words, segment by segment...
- Another time I managed to import the tmx memory, added it as reference, but it was not read at all, so it did not work and I don't know why
- With another client, I asked the client to import my tmx of the project (I had created a Word file of the project content and translated it with DVX). It worked (the retranslation requires you stop on many sentences, as the formatting tags of Star Transit where not included in my "reference" memory).

I'm writing so ask two things about this procedure:
- how do you "Open the imported file and change its status to "translated"? And do you mean the files included in the project or the tmx
- and how comes that for some agencies this Import tmx and Export tmx items are greyed out? Which could be the settings they use, so that I can ask them non to use that setting again?

thank you
Ilde
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
You can copy translated files into the project Dec 4, 2005

Vito Smolej wrote:
I received the PXF and have to deliver in transit form as well, that's my problem.

It's still not clear to me what format you translated in Trados, but if you have worked on the XML files from the PXF project (which in fact is a zipped folder of XML files), you can export, translate and then re-import the XML files into the project.

After reimporting, you simply produce a TXF file by "Sending" the translation.

We're probably talking about different things there...

Endre

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
One answer, one DK Dec 4, 2005

Ilde Grimaldi wrote:

(1) how do you "Open the imported file and change its status to "translated"? And do you mean the files included in the project or the tmx

(2) and how comes that for some agencies this Import tmx and Export tmx items are greyed out? Which could be the settings they use, so that I can ask them non to use that setting again?

(1) Go "File-Open-Text...", change the file type to "All files" and browse for and open the reference file. It should appear as a usual language pair. Then go "Options-File Status" and choose "translated" (you can select "spell-checked" if that is more appropriate, by the way)

(2) I am not aware of any settings that would enable/disable TMX import/export when sending a project. Perhaps it has to do with the version - something like impossible in the PE Satellite and enabled in Smart, but I am just guessing here.

HTH
Antonin

[Edited at 2005-12-04 15:16]

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
I got as far as Dec 4, 2005

. Open the imported file and change its status to "translated" (presumably, you will know how to do this?)

It's actually language file pairs, right?.ENG and .slv in my case, correct?

I left "resulting segment file" empty, which probably per default used the TMX's name to create the pair.

Check?

And I do NOT know, how to change the status to translated (sorry, must be too obvious;)

smo

PS: Oops, I did not follow the discussion. Ignore the above for the moment...
PPS: says my text file is too big - sigh - its a couple of thousand segments. Let me reduce that to today's work...
OK; so now I just had 340 segments in tmx and I have the two files ready & translated ready to get included in the project

Where th do I include them in the project settings? I tried reference materials/add files but it does not seem to impress the program. I just have the previous data included, but nothing (seems at least) from the additional language pair.

The fight is still on, sorry (sigh)

smo

[Edited at 2005-12-04 15:57]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Incluging files in project reference Dec 4, 2005

Vito Smolej wrote:

Where th do I included them in the project settings?

TiA

smo

[Edited at 2005-12-04 15:42]

Go "Projet-Setting", the "Reference Material" tab, and push the "Add files..." button

Antonin

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
We're getting there...It is working.... Dec 4, 2005

i) I will have go back and correct some of the segments - I segmented them differently. But then again, I'll probably just cut and paste.

ii) what's the short cut for "Accept translation" - I'd like to keep doing Alt+Enter and Alt+somethingelse, but this "somethingelse" I just can't remember anymore. And to be honest I'm starting to get lazy (sg).

TiA

smo

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
ALT+INS (ALT+EINFÜGEN) Dec 4, 2005

And good luck.

Best
Jerzy

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
ALt+Insert Dec 4, 2005

Alternate Alt+Insert and Alt+Enter should be more or less going the way you need.

There are always some formatting and/or tag issues when doing such conversions between CAT tools, I am afraid (until Xliff or another uniform standard prevails).

As an afterthought, when you are opening the refrence file for changing its status to "translated", you can open it via "Open language pair" - this way you may not get the volume limitation.

Antonin

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Alt+Ins - oh well, it's NOT ... Dec 4, 2005

... TWB, Jerzy. It's STAR transit.
it's something like this (from Transit help):

Confirm active segment (see?!),... ALT+INSERT
Search for fuzzy matches ... ALT+ENTER
next untranslated segment... CTRL+PLUS
next partially translated seg... ALT+PLUS

which is not the way trados does it - my proof is only in the fact I currently fight the inbred instincts (sg) of pressing alt INS at wrong times.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
In Satellite PE German it IS ALT+EINFG Dec 4, 2005

Because I´m using it on weekly basis - so I should know
This means mark the segment as translated and search for a next not translated.

Best
Jerzy

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get Star Transit PXF translated using TRADOS TM

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »