Transit Satellite PE - how can I merge segments?
Thread poster: lisevs
lisevs
lisevs
Local time: 19:55
Jan 18, 2006

I am working with the satellite version of Transit and want to merge two segments and translate them as one sentence - does anyone know how to do that?

thanks a lot in advance

lise

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
No merging in Satellite PE Jan 18, 2006

Hi Lise,

Transit's help file says:

6.8.5 Translating two segments as one sentence

You can write the translation for two segments in a single segment. However, if you use this translation as reference material at a later stage, the reference material will not be correct. During the next translation of one of the two sentences, Transit will suggest either an empty sentence or two sentences as the translation.

However, if you cannot avoid this, write the text in one of the two segments. If necessary, move all of the tags into the one segment for the appropriate words and leave the other segment empty.

Endre

lisevs
lisevs
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 18, 2006

Thanks a lot, Endre

I tried searching the help file - but wasn't lucky enough to find it - after all: there is no really solution it seems...

kind regards from rainy Vienna

lise

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Merging is possible Jan 18, 2006

To merge two segments in target text, place the cursor in the first of them and press the right mouse button. Choose "merge segements" (Segmente zusammenführen). Then repat the same procedure for the source text. You must switch off the write protection for the target text. It is located in "View" menu.

Well, so far the theory. But after I did so, the whole fuzzy index stopped to work I needed to delete the index fil
... See more
To merge two segments in target text, place the cursor in the first of them and press the right mouse button. Choose "merge segements" (Segmente zusammenführen). Then repat the same procedure for the source text. You must switch off the write protection for the target text. It is located in "View" menu.

Well, so far the theory. But after I did so, the whole fuzzy index stopped to work I needed to delete the index files from the project directory and restart once again.
Transit Satellite PE is not my favourite tool, TBH I hate it.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
The fuzzy search gets confused after joining segments in Transit Jan 18, 2006

It is a known bug (I reported it to Transit support and they say it may be corrected in the next Service Pack).

No need to delete index files etc. though - saving everything, closing Transit, and reopening the project brings the fuzzy search back to "proper" life (at least in the Professinal version I use, but I believe it should work for Satellite too).

I also hate Transit Satellite; all higher versions of Transit seem to be much better.

Antonin

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
@Antonin Jan 18, 2006

Thank you for that tip - this may save my life in the next two days.
Do you use the merge segment function or rather do copy the broken text into one segment? In my case the text is always broken after common abbreviations, because the segmentation rules were not set properly in the project. I could either merge the segments or simply copy and paste (both in target and source) the text from behind he abbreviation into the previous segment. What is better?

And yes, I used Trans
... See more
Thank you for that tip - this may save my life in the next two days.
Do you use the merge segment function or rather do copy the broken text into one segment? In my case the text is always broken after common abbreviations, because the segmentation rules were not set properly in the project. I could either merge the segments or simply copy and paste (both in target and source) the text from behind he abbreviation into the previous segment. What is better?

And yes, I used Transit 2.4 as full version, and it behaved better.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
I always use the "right-click" procedure you explained Jan 18, 2006

A few things:

- I try to go through the document and join all segments to be joined in one run before restarting Transit (which restart is necessary to repair the fuzzy search) - it helps to search for the "guilty" abbreviation(s) using Edit/Find...

- usually, the joined segments are separated by a linebreak / paragraph mark - I delete this mark (but not the other tags) in both files of the language pair (source and target).

Antonin

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Thank you Jan 18, 2006

It works in Satellite edition too.

Kind regards
Jerzy

dkalinic
dkalinic
Croatian to German
+ ...
In memoriam
The "right-click" procedure works fine with Transit XV Jan 19, 2006

I use the "right-click" procedure with TransitXV without any problems.

Regards,
Davor

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit Satellite PE - how can I merge segments?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »