Thread poster: Martin Fernandez Cufre

Martin Fernandez Cufre  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 20, 2006

Hi!

During the last 45 days, I've been working in an interesting project, and one of the requirements was to work with the Transit Satellite PE software. I quite like the environment, but I find it a bit dated (old), I think it could really use some updating and improving.

The most problematic issue I found was that in the "target text" area, where you actually translate, when you start translating a segment, the source text is there, and you have to either type at the beginning of the segment and then delete the remaining text, or inversely, first delete the source text and then translate on the blank space. Well, I really REALLY don't understand how the Star people evaluate functionality, but there are some time-consuming issues with this work process. I REALLY don't understand why there is NO KEYBOARD SHORTCUT for the "Delete text to end of segment" command and/or for the "Delete text to next tag" command. There is a little toolbar which you can locate near the target window, which includes an icon for the "Delete to end of segment" command, but it's REALLY ANNOYING to translate, and then move my hand to the mouse just to click this icon. There are shortcuts for functions which one would hardly ever use, and systematically they included NO shortcuts for these functions. It really pisses me off, because although it may sound as little time, if you add up all the extra time and concentration-unfocusing that the movement to the mouse produces in a very long project, it is quite idiotic not to include this shortcut.

So, anyone knows a way to delete the text to the end of the segment without having to click on the darn icon on the little toolbar??? Or delete text until the next tag??? It could REALLY help me save some valuable work time.

THANKS!!!!

Martin

[Editado a las 2006-08-20 08:36]

Direct link Reply with quote

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:01
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Moving this thread... Aug 20, 2006

to the CAT Tools Support forum.

Magda

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
PE is horrible Aug 20, 2006

If it looks like a viable solution to you money-wise, you can buy a higher version of Transit; depending on the actual level, you can use and/or define macros of your own then. The dark side is the price, which is high; but the Pro version (which I use for most of my translation work these days) is quite user-friendly (definitely more than Trados).

Antonin

Benny Raemaekers  Identity Verified
Belgium
German to Flemish
+ ...
You could try this: Aug 20, 2006

Martin Fernandez Cufre wrote:

Hi!

During the last 45 days, I've been working in an interesting project, and one of the requirements was to work with the Transit Satellite PE software. I quite like the environment, but I find it a bit dated (old), I think it could really use some updating and improving.

The most problematic issue I found was that in the "target text" area, where you actually translate, when you start translating a segment, the source text is there, and you have to either type at the beginning of the segment and then delete the remaining text, or inversely, first delete the source text and then translate on the blank space. Well, I really REALLY don't understand how the Star people evaluate functionality, but there are some time-consuming issues with this work process. I REALLY don't understand why there is NO KEYBOARD SHORTCUT for the "Delete text to end of segment" command and/or for the "Delete text to next tag" command. There is a little toolbar which you can locate near the target window, which includes an icon for the "Delete to end of segment" command, but it's REALLY ANNOYING to translate, and then move my hand to the mouse just to click this icon. There are shortcuts for functions which one would hardly ever use, and systematically they included NO shortcuts for these functions. It really pisses me off, because although it may sound as little time, if you add up all the extra time and concentration-unfocusing that the movement to the mouse produces in a very long project, it is quite idiotic not to include this shortcut.

So, anyone knows a way to delete the text to the end of the segment without having to click on the darn icon on the little toolbar??? Or delete text until the next tag??? It could REALLY help me save some valuable work time.

Arrow upwards (left side of key board above Ctrl) in combination with Alt key (on the right side of Windows key) in combination wity arrow to the right (left of numerical keys)
I use the combination with the little finger and thumb of my left hand together with the little finger of my right hand, ...without mouse click

THANKS!!!!

Martin

[Editado a las 2006-08-20 08:36]

[Edited at 2006-08-20 10:44]

Martin Fernandez Cufre  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANKS Aug 20, 2006

Sorry about the location of the post.

THANKS BENNY THIS WAS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR. This way, it selects all the text up to the end of the segment and I can delete it... no mouse! The downside is that apparently alt+shift is the key combination used by Windows to change the keyboard input language and my input system gets changed suddenly to chinese! But I'm getting the hang of it, and it's EXCELLENT! THANKS!!!

Ontonín, well, the cost of the software is totally way up! I'll check later. Thanks also!

Martin

Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 14:01
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Thanks from another frustrated Transit user Nov 15, 2006

Belated thanks, Benny, for your very helpful shortcut tip.

I was nearly considering declining a large project because of the problem Martin described so well...

Now I can live with it for a while longer.

Thanks, Doron

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Star Transit Satellite PE: Deleting text to end of segment

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs