Mobile menu

How to create a dictionary from a project in Transit?
Thread poster: hatipovic
Local time: 16:12
German to Bosnian
+ ...
Aug 31, 2006

we have completed a project in Transit and sent the TXF to the project owner. Now he asks if we have created a dictionary of the project. What does it mean and is there an automated process in Transit to create dictionaries?

Direct link Reply with quote
Robin Salmon  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:12
German to English
+ ...
My experience of Transit dictionaries Aug 31, 2006

I often have to do projects in the "freebie" Transit for a certain agency.

I am working for that agency right now, using a Transit dictionary they sent me, compiled from similar projects for the same end-customer. They often include a dictionary.

This time, for quite a big project, I asked them to definitely send me one. Otherwise, I forget what I have put and there is no concordance, as in Trados.

They said I could add terms myself and that has been a great help. I highlight the source term and just click on Edit>Rapid Entry Mode and the source term appears, plus one word of the target term. I complete the entry and add it to the dictionary.

I know I haven't answered your question exactly but I hope that points you in the right direction.

Christopher Schmidt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:12
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
File -> New -> Database or dictionary Aug 31, 2006

Hi Mirza

you can create a new dictionary with the "File -> New -> Database or dictionary" menu command. If creating a dictionary for a specific customer, it's a good idea in my experience to first create a database for that customer and then a dictionary in that database - I often create one for the current project. (Note that a transit/termstar database can contain any number of dictionaries.)

After creating the db and dictionary, you must then link the dictionary to the current project. You can do this in the Project Settings dialog which is opened with the Project -> Settings menu command. In the TermStar Dicionaries tab, use the Add button to link your dictionary to the project. Words are only added to the "current dictionary", so be sure that the correct dictionary is selected in the Current Dictionary field.

As you're working on the translation, you can easily add word pairs to the dictionary (see the manual for details).

The TXF, which you create upon completion of the translation, should now contain the new dictionary and any entered word pairs.

Hope this helps

[Edited at 2006-08-31 13:53]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create a dictionary from a project in Transit?

Advanced search

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs