Arturo Mannino  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:37
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 8, 2006

Hi all,

I had to format my C drive last week so I took care to save all I could save on separate medias. I also made a backup of all old transit projects (the ones contained in C:\Program Files\Transit3.0 Satellite PE\projects), so I can use them as reference when I buy Transit XV.
After reinstaling everything and moving the saved projects from the bakup drive to the C drive, I opened Transit and saw that the only available projects are "default", "german-source-tutorial" and "tutorial", i.e. the projects you see when your first install Transit. No trace of my old projects. They are where they should be: I can see them when I open C:\Program Files\Transit3.0 Satellite PE\projects, but I cannot open them in Transit.
Should I have saved something else before formatting? Can anyone help?

arturo

Direct link Reply with quote

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Some help Oct 8, 2006

Hi Arturo,
you should have saved the project files as well (*.prj), which are stored under C: transit ..../config/global (or customers) -

I have Transit Professional XV, and I'm no longer sure of the Satelite capabilities - does Satellite have the option of using folders as reference material? If so, you can use the old project folders instead of the project itself.

Do you have any backups of the entire Transit folder? If not, a workaround would be to recreate the projects by importing the *.pxf files again:

1) rename the "projects" folder with your translated projects to e.g. "projects_old" - this prevents the files being overwritten.
2) reimport each pxf - this will recreate the project. Make sure the name is the same as the original project. If you have a large number of projects, it might be worthwhile doing this for useful projects only.
3) rename "projects" to "projects new" (just in case something goes wrong)
4) rename "projects_old" to "projects".

That should do the trick. Have fun!
Cheers,
Jill

Spain
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 8, 2006

Thank you Jill,

I see I didn't backup all I had to. I could import the old pxf files as you suggest, because I still have all the mails I received from my clients over the last years, but I'm afraid that doing so would result in a large number of "virgin" projects, i.e. not translated ones. Or is there something I did not understand in the workaround you propose?

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
. Oct 8, 2006

Hi Arturo,

The basic idea of the workaround is to recreate the projects from the *.pxf files sent to you by the project manager. This will create the project folder containing the language pairs for all the files in the project and, most importantly, it will create the missing *.prj for the project. The next step is to copy (= overwrite) the translated language pairs into the new project folders.

Hope this is clear now.

Good luck,
Jill

Spain
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got it Oct 9, 2006

Hi Jill,

yes, now it's clear and I will try it. Thank you very much.

arturo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit Satellite: viewing old projects after drive formatting

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs