Transit Satellite PE
Thread poster: transferatu
transferatu
Local time: 16:49
German to English
Nov 27, 2006

Hello,

I downloaded Transit Satellite PE.
However, so far I'm at a loss to understand how I can work or even translate with this thing. I also downloaded the tutorial, but it did not help me. My problem is: How do I open a simple ms word doc. file with this software. I have never seen a software which is so not user friendly and I have been in the computer business for a while. I would appreciate any help on this.

I just want to open a source language file and translate it with this program, is it really so difficult?? I must admit this is my first CAT software.

Thank you

[Edited at 2006-11-27 15:39]

Direct link Reply with quote

Andrej  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:49
Member (2005)
German to Russian
+ ...
In Transit Satellite PE, Nov 27, 2006

you can only translate the projects which are prepared with Transit XV. You cannot create projects with Transit Satellite PE, so you cannot load MS Word files in this software.

[Edited at 2006-11-27 15:53]

transferatu
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
reply Nov 27, 2006

Oh so-:) So why don't they write that on their homepage before someone gets it? Anyway, does anybody know a free CAT tool that can do it? How about Omega T, tried this as well but it didn't work either.

Thanks for the info

Hector Aires
Local time: 11:49
English to Spanish
Agree with Andrej... Nov 27, 2006

Andrej wrote:

you can only translate the projects which are prepared with Transit XV. You cannot create projects with Transit Satellite PE, so you cannot load MS Word files in this software.

[Edited at 2006-11-27 15:53]

files SHOULD be prepared in Transit by the PM. I have worked with the Satellite and it is very friendly.
Regards
El Étor

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
OmegaT Nov 27, 2006

transferatu wrote:

How about Omega T, tried this as well but it didn't work either.

What exactly didn't work, Transferatu? If you mean "open a simple ms word doc. file", no, you can't - you have to convert it first to a format OmegaT can handle, such as OpenOffice.org. This is explained in the user instructions.

Tell us more, and we'll try to resolve your problem.

Marc

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
Wordfast Nov 28, 2006

Hi,
If you have to work with a Word file and if your file is not too big, you can use the free version of Wordfast. To be accurate, the free Wordfast is not a different version, in fact, but the memory, or the number of translation units that can be used, is limited. You can check the Wordfast support forum here at Proz or read the relevant details in the Wordfast site.

Good luck,
Özden

[Edited at 2006-11-28 00:29]

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:49
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You need the full version Nov 30, 2006

Perhaphs you are right that it is not very easy to start using this software, but in my opinion is the best translation tool I've ever used. If I had enough money I would buy the full version.
There is a training video, if you download it and spend two hours studying it, you'll understand the concepts needed for translating a file. Nevertheless, you cannot translate a Word file directly with it (it has to be converted by the agency requesting the translation).

BTW, Where did you downloaded it?
I'm unsucessfully browsing the Web and I do need Transit Satellite PE (I upgraded my old pc)

Regards

Clarisa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit Satellite PE

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs