Can one mark segment as translated or find/accept fuzzy without using key combinations
Thread poster: Clara Ogwuazor
Clara Ogwuazor
Clara Ogwuazor  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 11:12
German to English
Apr 20, 2007

Hi,
I started using Transit for the first time yesterday. I discovered that all functions are carried out by using key combinations, which, unfortunately, does not work with my key board. I have a German key board and each time I try the key combinations, the program either does not respond at all or it hangs and I'll have to close it down.
Can anybody tell me if one can carry out these functions any other way apart from using these combinations?
How can I re-use my translated
... See more
Hi,
I started using Transit for the first time yesterday. I discovered that all functions are carried out by using key combinations, which, unfortunately, does not work with my key board. I have a German key board and each time I try the key combinations, the program either does not respond at all or it hangs and I'll have to close it down.
Can anybody tell me if one can carry out these functions any other way apart from using these combinations?
How can I re-use my translated segments in a document to ensure consistency?

Thanks

Clara
Collapse

Valentina_D
Valentina_D  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:12
English to Italian
+ ...
hint Apr 20, 2007

Hi,

To mark a segment as translated, just use the relevant button (second row, second button from left, below the book-shaped Termstar symbol) - or at least this is how it is displayed on my version.
(I guess you're using the Satellite version).

I don't know about the other function, maybe the 'Go to the next segment to be translated' (just below the 'Take formatting' button) can be of some help?

I usually use the shortcuts, so I'm not familiar with t
... See more
Hi,

To mark a segment as translated, just use the relevant button (second row, second button from left, below the book-shaped Termstar symbol) - or at least this is how it is displayed on my version.
(I guess you're using the Satellite version).

I don't know about the other function, maybe the 'Go to the next segment to be translated' (just below the 'Take formatting' button) can be of some help?

I usually use the shortcuts, so I'm not familiar with the corresponding buttons.

Not sure if I understand your last question.

I hope some other collegues can comment, too.

good luck!
Collapse

Clara Ogwuazor
Ireland
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Tiny Apr 20, 2007

It worked!

Now the question is how to use the already translated segments (fuzzy) in subsequent translations.

When I clicked on the button, a Fuzzy index window appeared indicating that the next segment has a match in the memory, but showed no translation - I mean, the window is blank but for the % search panel.
How can I, at this stage, see and insert fuzzies in the text.

Thanks

Valentina_D
Valentina_D  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
strange Apr 20, 2007

Glad to hear that at least one problem is solved.

Clara Ogwuazor wrote:

I mean, the window is blank but for the % search panel.
How can I, at this stage, see and insert fuzzies in the text.

Do you mean you can see the source text in the fuzzy match window but no target text?
This is strange, although it happened to me a couple of times in the past. I think it was a problem of how the project had been set up in the first place (had to write the text myself).
Usually, when you mark a segment as translated, then Transit goes to the next segment to translate. If there is a match in the TM, the fuzzy window appears, you edit what needs to be edited and then copy the segment into your working window. I do so by pressing Alt+Enter (but again, don't know the corresponding button ). Then, once your translated segment is in place, you accept it by pressing Alt+Ins (or, in your case, the relevant button).

I can't understand why in your case the shortkeys don't work..that's really strange...

Sorry not to be able to help you further.

[Edited at 2007-04-20 12:41]

Clara Ogwuazor
Ireland
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Got it somehow!!! Apr 20, 2007

Yeah, I think that it it depends on how the project was set.
The good news is that I have been able to figure out how to get my fuzzies to appear

As regards the key combination, I just thinks that maybe it's because I'm using a German keyboard - I'm not sure, anyway.

Thanks for your time

Luca Ruella
Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
German keyboard Apr 20, 2007

Clara Ogwuazor wrote:

Yeah, I think that it it depends on how the project was set.
The good news is that I have been able to figure out how to get my fuzzies to appear

As regards the key combination, I just thinks that maybe it's because I'm using a German keyboard - I'm not sure, anyway.

Thanks for your time

I doubt your keyboard is the problem....
Transit can be used with any keyboard layout and it's developed in german Switzerland:)

Clara Ogwuazor
Ireland
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Laptop??? Apr 20, 2007

Where will the problem lie then? I have a laptop and have tried it out several times to no avil.

Clara

[Edited at 2007-04-20 14:56]

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Keyboard Apr 24, 2007

Clara Ogwuazor wrote:

Hi Clara,
this is very strange, I haven't seen any other reports of this happening. The problem probably lies with the ALT button or with INS. Make sure you are pressing ALT and not ALT GR. Does the INS button toggle overwrite/insert when you are typing?
What is the Windows language setting (=DE? should be at the bottom of the Windows screen to the left of the system tray).

HTH
Jill

Clara Ogwuazor
Ireland
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I tried the correct key combination!!!!!!!!!! Apr 24, 2007

Hi Jill,

I really do not understand why it's not working for me. I used the ALT key and the INS button toggle does not overwrite when I type (language setting = DE).
I don't know what to attribute to this problem? or is it from the project setting???

Clara

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
INS key Apr 24, 2007

Hi Clara,
there seems to be a problem with your INS key if it is not toggling. Does it toggle properly in Word and other applications or is it only in Transit? Do you have a keyboard with programmable keys? Does ALT+ENTER (for fuzzy matches) work?

Cheers,
Jill

Clara Ogwuazor
Ireland
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Must INS key be used in Transit Apr 25, 2007

Hi Jill,

I think that I have to get some things explained since I'm using Transit for the first time.

My INS key works normal in words.

The qestion is - must I use it in TRANSIT for the key
combinations to work?

I use to translate and then delete the source text. I'm being careful not to mess up my work.

At the moment, I cannot use any of the key combinations, which is somehow irritating.

Thanks a lot
... See more
Hi Jill,

I think that I have to get some things explained since I'm using Transit for the first time.

My INS key works normal in words.

The qestion is - must I use it in TRANSIT for the key
combinations to work?

I use to translate and then delete the source text. I'm being careful not to mess up my work.

At the moment, I cannot use any of the key combinations, which is somehow irritating.

Thanks a lot

Clara
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can one mark segment as translated or find/accept fuzzy without using key combinations

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »