Working with Transit Satellite
Thread poster: ciliegina
ciliegina
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:00
French to English
+ ...
Jul 30, 2007

My employer has Transit XV Professional and I have sent a project to an external translator who has installed Transit Satellite.
The translator claims the fuzzy matches aren't shown, although I set them at 50%. I know there is no concordance search in the satellite version but is it not possible to search through all the files in the project in a global window in order to find a term?
I also sent a dictionary but he says he can't add translated terms into the dictionary by marking them and clicking a button but has to enter them all "manually".
From the entries in the forum it seems plenty of people are managing to work with the Satelllite version. So, do the problems lie with this translator's lack of PC skills, or is it really as complicated and slow as he claims?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:00
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Let him remove the fuzzy index from the project and reinstall Satellite Jul 31, 2007

I also have had some problems with Satellite.
Sometimes it loses the fuzzy index or makes funny things, such as presenting a 99% match first, although there is also a 100% match.
What I would do, is removing the files called *.BAS and *.MTX from the project folder, then save the projects from my profile and my projects folder somwhere, to be sure I do not lose anything, deinstall Satellite, remove all Satellite related entries from the Registry, restart the PC and reinstall Satellite. Then I would move my backup of projects back to where they were originally (if they got removed during the installation) and reopen the project with Satellite.
Then the translator should make sure, that following settings are activated in his profile (Tools - Profile - Settings) on the "Fuzzy" tab:
"Automatic search with ALT+INSERT" must be activated.
Then, when translated, he has to press "ALT+INSERT" to go to the next segment - this will activate fuzzy search. From what you describe I have the impression he is not doing this in that way.

Jerzy

ciliegina
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Working with Satellite Jul 31, 2007

Thank you very much for this tip, Jerzy.

Would you say then that it is worth using this version? My translator gives me the impression that it's near impossible, even if it is free.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:00
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I wouldn't say it is impossible to work with Satellite Jul 31, 2007

Satellite is definitely not my favourite program, nor is it a program with a lot of possibilities for the translator, but still one can work with it.
Since I'm using it (quite a long time I would say) I have translated several thousands (maybe several hundred thousands) words with it.
Provided it is used properly, one can work with it. Of course full products are better, but then they cost a bit.
I would not argue on if it is worth to work with it. for me definitely yes, because in this way I can also serve customers using Transit, which I definitely couldn't do only with Trados. So even if I used to complain about Transit, stating to hate this program, I'm still using it, because it enlarges my potential. I would better learn and use a new software than to say a customer I cannot accept his project because of the lack of software knowledge. Sometimes we even invested in new software because of new customers. It is always a business decision.

Jerzy

ciliegina
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for info Aug 1, 2007

Thanks again for the useful information. Yes, I can see a lot of useful functions are missing but as you say, to please the customer, and it's free.....
Especially if you stand to earn a lot and over a prolonged period of collaboration, as a professional you could expect to invest in decent software, above all if you don't already have another up-to-date CAT tool.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working with Transit Satellite

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs