Trados vs Transit
Thread poster: claire letaillieur

claire letaillieur  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:28
English to French
+ ...
Dec 5, 2007

I was demonstrating how Trados Workbench works to a client the other day. I translated a title, which was new, and then the same title appeared later with a tag, so that Trados recognised this as a 90% match.

The client was annoyed, because the actual text was identical. They said they thought that Transit "took care" of this, i.e. would ignore the tag and recognise this as a 100% match.

Is this correct? I know nothing about Transit?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:28
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not with Satellite - the free version of Transit Dec 5, 2007

And TBH I do not see any advantage having that as a 100% match. Not quite seldom is the translation of the same text in heading different, as when it appears elswhere. All this depends on the language you translate into. Too many automatism and you are in big trouble, for example in Polish.
For us "I have 2 cars" and "I have 5 cars" are two different translations - so a CAT must allow that.

Jerzy

claire letaillieur  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Would Transit be different? Dec 5, 2007

Jerzy, I take your point, but on the other hand I could also see where the client was coming from.

The text was identical and the translation was identical. The tag in question was there to indicate that this title was part of a conditional text in Framemaker (the manual was to cater for 2 variants and the second title refered to the second variant, that's all).

So to all intents and purposes there was no reason for the TM to see it as anything other than a full match, apart from acknowledging that this title belonged to a different model.

My point really - would Transit be different from Trados in its treatment?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Know Transit not enough for that... Dec 6, 2007

but AFAIR if only tag changes, both Trados and Transit are able to replace the sentence including the Tags. However, if one sentence had tags and the other has no tags, Trados will stop. This is fully OK for me. I would have to see the situation and see why Trados stopped. If there were only formatting tags for paragraph style, so they are treated as external ones and should not influence the finding of 100% match in such situation. This is why I suppose there were more than this simple difference. And even a misplacing a tag in the sentence cannot be properly interpreted by any CAT - how shall it tell which word is now to be formatted differently? A CAT does not understand any language....

J.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
In both you can force (by settings) that tags are ignored Dec 6, 2007

However, I would never apply such a setting (or, to be less definitive, I have never met a situation in which I would take it as advantageous). Although there are (IMHO) many advanatges of Transit over Trados, in this feature they behave in a very similar way. In Transit, IMHO, the processing of such a situation (accepting as-is or adapting the translation with slightly different tags) is more convenient and easier, but that comes as no surprise to me.

But believe me, for an experienced translator, it is more important to be fully informed what is going on than saving a fraction of a second on deciding what a particular adapation to different tags should be. In most cases, a reasonable CAT tool's suggestion of how to cope with the change might be acceptable as-is; but if you want to have satisfied customers, you should have a full control over your outcome (well, as far as possible); and this is a part of it.

I am not sure if it makes good sense to you...

HTH

Antonin

[Edited at 2007-12-06 04:48]

[Edited at 2007-12-06 04:49]

Roberto Bertuol  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
Italian to English
+ ...
Trados vs Transit Dec 6, 2007

Hi there,

Transit is a highly customisable CAT tool, therefore, settings can be changed so that the weighting of tags can be ignored during the pretranslations or not, as well as you can choose whether to let Transit pretranslate if there is more than one variant or not (the criteria for the order of variants depend on the the name of file, timestamp, etc. etc.). Of course I am talking about the Workstation version and above. You can change the default settings for pretranslation in Project | Settings | Pretranslation (1/2). Also for the fuzzy matches you can choose whether to allow Transit to pretranslate automatically if a variant exists and/or ignore the case. I understand that it is always better to allow as little automatism as possible, however, there are some clients who don't care much about precision. The advantages and disadvantages of this need however to be explaied to the client before changing any default setting.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
So is Trados too Dec 6, 2007

You can set all parameters you need and get a similar result.
If you use PerfectMatch, the result will be highly precise translation with the highest possible automation part.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados vs Transit

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs