https://www.proz.com/forum/transit_support/93307-how_do_i_export_a_transit_dictionary_to_multiterm.html

How do I export a Transit dictionary to Multiterm
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 18:34
Spanish
+ ...
Jan 4, 2008

I have a couple of Transit dictionaries in Transit that I need to use with TagEditor, but I can't figure out how to import them. The problem is all the settings Multiterm require. The Transit dictionaries are EN>ES; when I created the dictionaries in Transit, I choose to treat all sub-languages as one language. But I know that creates a problem with Multiterm's evil way of configuring Termbases. So I'm not sure where to start from.

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:34
English to Hungarian
+ ...
One possible solution Jan 4, 2008

You need the Smart (or higher) versions for this. You will get a good description of the first part by typing "Exporting a dictionary" in the Help field.

1.) Select Options/Database Administartor/Wizard.
2.) Select Export TermStar dictionary option and click on Next.
3.) Select the dictionary you wish to export.
4.) Select MARTIF as Export format.
5.) Choose the destination file, and prepare the .mtf export file.
6.) Open it with Word.
7.) Replac
... See more
You need the Smart (or higher) versions for this. You will get a good description of the first part by typing "Exporting a dictionary" in the Help field.

1.) Select Options/Database Administartor/Wizard.
2.) Select Export TermStar dictionary option and click on Next.
3.) Select the dictionary you wish to export.
4.) Select MARTIF as Export format.
5.) Choose the destination file, and prepare the .mtf export file.
6.) Open it with Word.
7.) Replace every paragraph break by tabs (^p by ^t).
8.) Replace "^t<termEntry id" by "^p<termEntry id". This way each new entry will start in a new line.
9.) Copy the whole and paste it into Excel. You will get a 30-column file, with 1 dictionary entry per line.
10.) Copy the two relevant columns into a new excel file.
11.) Add appropriate headers to the two columns.
12.) Import the excel file into Multiterm. See Jerzy's excellent description at http://privat.doku-trans.de/Multiterm.pdf

If you need any more help let me know.
Kind regards,
Attila

[Edited at 2008-01-04 20:33]
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
? Jan 4, 2008

Hello Attila,

Thanks for your help. I did all those steps but I can't manage to open the file in Word. I get an error message and a Parameter exception message. Although notepad.exe can open it.

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:34
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Intermediate step with Notepad Jan 4, 2008

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Hello Attila,

Thanks for your help. I did all those steps but I can't manage to open the file in Word. I get an error message and a Parameter exception message. Although notepad.exe can open it.

Hi Claudia,
What about opening it in Notepad, copy/pasting it into Word, and continuing with the remaining steps?
Attila

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:D Jan 4, 2008

Thank you!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I export a Transit dictionary to Multiterm

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »