Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:18
Spanish
+ ...
Jan 7, 2008

Hello,

I'm struggling with Transit and its very user-unfriendly manuals and unintuitive interfaces. Now I'm trying to import two TMX files into Transit to use them as references. Nothing I've done works.

One of the TMX was created by Transit, so tried to import it. I assigned it any name with extension .txt. Transit created two files for each language, then I added the folder where both files are located, as a reference in the project. But Transit doesn't find any match
... See more
Hello,

I'm struggling with Transit and its very user-unfriendly manuals and unintuitive interfaces. Now I'm trying to import two TMX files into Transit to use them as references. Nothing I've done works.

One of the TMX was created by Transit, so tried to import it. I assigned it any name with extension .txt. Transit created two files for each language, then I added the folder where both files are located, as a reference in the project. But Transit doesn't find any matches.

The second TMX was created by Trados. I tried several language-pair names combinations with the extension .txt, but to no avail. Transit is supposed to create one file, but it creates two. And the manual doesn't give any examples on how to name the files.

For what I read in several posts, after a TMX is imported it needs to be marked as translated, but I can't figure out how to do this either or if I need to do it for both reference files.

Also I'm using a separate folder to save the resulting files, and I'm following (I assume) all the steps on the manual, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. This is what I did for the second TMX:

TMX files generated by other Translation Memory Systems in another folder
Click on …. after the Resulting segmented file field. Transit displays the
Create TMX import result document window.
Select the desired folder in the Create TMX import result document window.
Enter the file name for the language pair to be created in the Files names
field. [what name????] Use the file name extension *.txt. During import, Transit creates a single
language pair with the name that was specified.
Click Save to confirm the information specified.

Am I missing something?

Claudia
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 08:18
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Mark as translated Jan 7, 2008

File-Open-Languge Pair

push button Browse

open the imported TMX file (it is probably imported to the workin directory of your project, otherwise search for it in the "browse" window)

Options-File Status-Translated

After that, the project may be worth re-importing (if you expect that the references contain many segments of the new files)

Antonin

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What file? Jan 7, 2008

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

open the imported TMX file (it is probably imported to the workin directory of your project, otherwise search for it in the "browse" window)

What file would that be? The only files in the folder where I kept the TMX, are the originally exported tmx, then the two language pairs. I tried opening the tmx file but Trasit prompts me to choose a File Type.

I really appreciate all your help.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 08:18
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Open the language pair Jan 7, 2008

which you created by importing the tmx - just double click on the target-language file of this tmx-imported pair (when it is found after pushing the Browse button). As a matter of fact, I do not think it is important which file of the pair you double-click. When both files appear in your view, just go to Options etc. as I wrote before.

Antonin

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Pairs Jan 7, 2008

That's the problem. I have two files for each language, plus the original tmx. Actually, that's for both tmx files, the one created with Transit and the one created with Trados.

Here's a pic

And when I try to open either of those languages, I get an error message "Cannot open file xxx", so at no point I've ever got to have the imported display
... See more
That's the problem. I have two files for each language, plus the original tmx. Actually, that's for both tmx files, the one created with Transit and the one created with Trados.

Here's a pic

And when I try to open either of those languages, I get an error message "Cannot open file xxx", so at no point I've ever got to have the imported displayed on the screen to change its status.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems importing TMX into Transit

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »