Excluding pretranslated segments
Thread poster: Attila Piróth

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:23
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jan 9, 2008

I have a Transit file that contains quite a lot of pretranslated segments that I am supposed to leave as they are.
Normally, I translate every untranslated segment, and in a second go check them. However, this means that they are mixed with pretranslated segments in the second step. Obviously, I can avoid this by translating new segments and then not accepting the translation but leaving the segment in "untranslated" status - but this means that I have to get each fuzzy match manually, which slows things down. Is there a way to get around this?
I use Transit 3.0, Smart version (under XP).
Attila

Direct link Reply with quote

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
One solution Jan 9, 2008

Hi Attila,

If I have pretranslated segments I filter them out (view > segment filter > segment attribute filter > show segments with state "translated")

You can now check the segments to make sure they are OK. Then mark all the visible segments (shift + ctrl + end) and mark as "checked 2" (edit > segment status > checked 2). Cancel the filter.

This means that all these segments will be automatically skipped during translation although they are still visible.

I know you are Transit-savvy, but I used all the commands so that others can follow the instructions as well should they need them.

Cheers,
Jill

France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Segment attribute filter missing Jan 9, 2008

Thank you, Jill,
I don't find the option "Segment attribute filter". The Segment filter window contains only two tabs: Segment filter and Segment filter range. Perhaps Transit 3.0 doesn't have it.
The status of pretranslated segments is "Checked 2", while my translated segments are marked as "Translated" - so a keyboard shortcut for "Step to next translated (but not checked) segments" would do the job.
Attila

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Difference between versions 3 and XV? Jan 9, 2008

Hi Attila,

there appears to be a difference between the versions. Version XV Professional has "segment filter", "segment filter range" and "segment attribute filter". The "segment attribute filter" settings are the most useful of the lot. I can't remember whether this one is only available in the Professional version.

How many statuses can you assign (XV Professional = translate, spell-check, checked 1, checked 2)? When I import files all the pretranslated segments appear as "translated". As "checked 2" is above "translated", "checked 2" segments should be automatically skipped if your processing level is "translate", "spell checked" or even "checked 1".

Cheers,
Jill

France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Jill Jan 9, 2008

How many statuses can you assign (XV Professional = translate, spell-check, checked 1, checked 2)? When I import files all the pretranslated segments appear as "translated". As "checked 2" is above "translated", "checked 2" segments should be automatically skipped if your processing level is "translate", "spell checked" or even "checked 1".

Cheers,
Jill

Yes, of course, this is the obvious solution: once translation is finished, I can change the setting of the Processing step from "translate" to "spell check" (or check 1/2) – and presto!
Thanks a bunch!
Attila

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excluding pretranslated segments

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs