ProZ.com global directory of translation services
 The translation workplace
Ideas

User
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Article: How Valuable Time Can Be To A Freelance Translator And How To Organise Your Workday And Life
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 02:45
SITE STAFF
Sep 25, 2009

This topic is for discussion of the ProZ.com translation article "How Valuable Time Can Be To A Freelance Translator And How To Organise Your Workday And Life".

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:45
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Seems good general advice for those starting out Sep 25, 2009

This article is likely to be helpful to those starting out as freelancers, to help them in establishing the need for organisation and scheduling the working day.

From experience, I can concur with the advice given here. It does not seem obvious on Day 1 of becoming a freelancer that careful records need to be kept of all aspects of the business, and it is quite difficult to catch up on a backlog of records a year or two later. If this article helps to point that out to new freelancers, it will be valuable reading.

Nicola Gardner  Identity Verified
Portuguese to English
Too much work makes Jack a dull boy and employ an accountant Jan 6, 2011

Really enjoyed this article!! I particularly identified with the point about not just working like a zombie when you first start out as a freelancer (my mistake) but try to spend time on making contacts and research. Working fewer hours (which I've learned to do) means you enjoy your work more and the quality improves.
Another piece of advice I would give, tying in with the careful keeping of records, is: employ an accountant. Mine charges me around £200 per year but probably saves me a good £800, and gives lots of peripheral advice and guidance, so well worth the investment.
Looking forward to reading more articles from this author.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Article: How Valuable Time Can Be To A Freelance Translator And How To Organise Your Workday And Life

memoQ translator pro 2013
ProZ.com members receive a 20% discount on memoQ

memoQ is a tool from translators to translators: no matter whether your clients give you files in the original file formats or supply you with project packages in other translation tools, you can use memoQ to guarantee timely delivery, high productivity a

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2014
The leading translation software. Save 15% on ProZ.com

SDL Trados Studio provides translators with all the tools they need for translation, terminology management, review, managing projects, machine translation and more, in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »