Article: Found in translation – meet Alice, Bob and Carol
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 9, 2005

This topic is for discussion of the ProZ.com translation article "Found in translation – meet Alice, Bob and Carol".

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:47
Member (2005)
French to English
Very wittily told, and how true Jan 8, 2008

Hullo, Vito;

Your article makes its point with warm-hearted good humour, and therefore all the more tellingly.

I have a "Bob, Carol or Alice" contact [not via ProZ] that keeps bombarding me with goodwill messages and offers of work, but in view of the difficulties I experienced on a large and complex assignment this past year, I know that I must resist these allurements. An additional "chill factor" is that I performed a Web search on the firm in question, only to fin
... See more
Hullo, Vito;

Your article makes its point with warm-hearted good humour, and therefore all the more tellingly.

I have a "Bob, Carol or Alice" contact [not via ProZ] that keeps bombarding me with goodwill messages and offers of work, but in view of the difficulties I experienced on a large and complex assignment this past year, I know that I must resist these allurements. An additional "chill factor" is that I performed a Web search on the firm in question, only to find that at its head is someone I have already come across: nothing short of a bandit, with a very grubby reputation indeed!

A point raised by you is how much risky business you are prepared to carry: with the opening-up of electronic data links across Europe, dealing with long-distance partners calls for caution, but nasty surprises can occur close to home.

My rule for myself is that if payment problems arise from the word go with new business partners - slowness in paying - tell the partner he must pay before you accept new business, and once payment is received, refuse all further business.

An old English proverb fittingly complements your welcome advice on this sensitive point: "if you sup with the devil, you must needs have a long spoon".

To conclude, Vito, keep writing: you do so with enjoyable humour. And may you prosper in 2008, the wiser for your experience, and notwithstanding wolves in sheep's clothing!

With kind regards,

Adam.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Article: Found in translation – meet Alice, Bob and Carol

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »