Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:58
English to German
+ ...
Feb 24, 2004

Hello,

I have been contacted by a client who requests a "certified translation" for Australia.

Can anyone - preferably from Australia - explain that process to me?

Here in Germany it is necessary to be court-approved to issue certified translations. I know that, for instance in the UK, this is completely different as anyone can have a translation notarized.

What do Australian authorities consider as a certified translation?

Thank
... See more
Hello,

I have been contacted by a client who requests a "certified translation" for Australia.

Can anyone - preferably from Australia - explain that process to me?

Here in Germany it is necessary to be court-approved to issue certified translations. I know that, for instance in the UK, this is completely different as anyone can have a translation notarized.

What do Australian authorities consider as a certified translation?

Thanks for your help.

Sonja
Collapse

George Runde
George Runde
Norway
Local time: 22:58
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Hi, this would be my take on it Feb 24, 2004

If you have certification in Germany, I would go ahead and tell the client that you are certified. You shouldn't have to be certified in Australia to take on the job.

If you are not certified, I would tell the client of your credentials and convince them that you are the best person for the job. My experience is that most times, this requirement is mentioned because they want to ensure quality - and a certified translator does carry that approval stamp. Doesn't mean you cannot ge
... See more
If you have certification in Germany, I would go ahead and tell the client that you are certified. You shouldn't have to be certified in Australia to take on the job.

If you are not certified, I would tell the client of your credentials and convince them that you are the best person for the job. My experience is that most times, this requirement is mentioned because they want to ensure quality - and a certified translator does carry that approval stamp. Doesn't mean you cannot get the job. My advise: Keep knocking on that door! Good luck!
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Here is some information Feb 24, 2004

From http://www.casa.gov.au/avreg/fcl_lic/os_skills.htm

"If the documents are not in English, a certified translation must also be provided. The translation must be compiled by an registered translator. Ask the Australian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate in the country where the translation is to be made if you are unsure of who to see. If the translation is to be made in Australia, contact the A
... See more
From http://www.casa.gov.au/avreg/fcl_lic/os_skills.htm

"If the documents are not in English, a certified translation must also be provided. The translation must be compiled by an registered translator. Ask the Australian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate in the country where the translation is to be made if you are unsure of who to see. If the translation is to be made in Australia, contact the Australian National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI). Information on the services provided by NAATI is available on their web site at http://www.naati.com.au."

However, George's points made above are well worth taking note of. This certification would only be meaningful and (potentially) necessary if the client needs to submit the document for some official application process in Australia.
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 24, 2004

Thank you very much for the information.

It seems, however, that the translation will be submitted to an official body... and I am not certified here in Germany.

Thanks again for your kind help.

Sonja

Jinouk Chung
Jinouk Chung
South Korea
Local time: 11:58
English to Korean
related to NAATI accreditation? Feb 25, 2004

Hi,
As far as I know from my temporary stay in Sydney, if you want to submit an offical document translated into any language in Australia, the document should be translated by a NAATI-accredited translator and include the translator's stamp issued by NAATi.

I think the "certified translation" means this practice.

Richard Benham
Richard Benham  Identity Verified
France
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
NAATI Accreditation and Certified translations Dec 13, 2004

NAATI (National Authority for the Accreditation of Translators and Interpreters: http://www.naati.com.au ) accredits translators, and it you are accredited to the right level, they will issue you with a stamp. The stamp, however, costs money, and you have to pay for a separate stamp for each language combination (but if you are accredited "both ways", you can have both directions on the one stamp). So far, I have... See more
NAATI (National Authority for the Accreditation of Translators and Interpreters: http://www.naati.com.au ) accredits translators, and it you are accredited to the right level, they will issue you with a stamp. The stamp, however, costs money, and you have to pay for a separate stamp for each language combination (but if you are accredited "both ways", you can have both directions on the one stamp). So far, I have received only two requests for certified translations, and they were for different languages, and so I have not bothered to get the stamps, although I am qualified.

This is closest thing we have in Australia to official certification. Most government departments will also accept translations certified by translaors who are able to certify translations in the country where the language other than English is spoken.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certified translations in Australia

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »