Thread poster: Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 9, 2008

Hello fellow translators!

Just on to ask for clarification of something that continually confuses me. I currently work part-time as an in-house translator in Barcelona, but would like to do some freelance work to supplement my income. I have been told various things - but I now think that I only have to register with the Hacienda to pay taxes, but I do not need to pay seguridad social. Am I correct? Also, issuing invoices here in Spain confuses me too, with 16% VAT and another item
... See more
Hello fellow translators!

Just on to ask for clarification of something that continually confuses me. I currently work part-time as an in-house translator in Barcelona, but would like to do some freelance work to supplement my income. I have been told various things - but I now think that I only have to register with the Hacienda to pay taxes, but I do not need to pay seguridad social. Am I correct? Also, issuing invoices here in Spain confuses me too, with 16% VAT and another item to be added also. Could someone clarify the whole process?

Have a good week translating!

Paul

[Edited at 2008-06-10 13:44]
Collapse

Monika Jakacka Márquez
Monika Jakacka Márquez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:13
Polish to Spanish
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
registering process Jun 10, 2008

Here you are some useful information about the steps to be taken when registering as a freelancer in Spain:
http://www.proz.com/forum/spanish/50356-¿cuanto_cuesta_hacerse_autonomo.html#372566

You can also search in forum archive for other relevant informations.

Actually, I don't know if you have to or not to pay Segurida
... See more
Here you are some useful information about the steps to be taken when registering as a freelancer in Spain:
http://www.proz.com/forum/spanish/50356-¿cuanto_cuesta_hacerse_autonomo.html#372566

You can also search in forum archive for other relevant informations.

Actually, I don't know if you have to or not to pay Seguridad Social when you're already paying it as an in-house translator. I guess that everything depends on your income as a freelancer. If it's bigger than Salario Mínimo Interprofesional, which is 600 EUR now, I guess you will have to pay some additional Seguridad Social fee.

Another thing - invoicing:
In Spain yopu have to add to your invoces 16%VAT tax and deduct 15% of IRPF (Impuesto sobre la Renta de las Personas Físicas), so your invoice, for example, looks like this:

base imponible: 100 EUR
+ IVA 16%: 16 EUR
- IRPF 15%: 15 EUR

Total: 101 EUR

The IRPF value you deduct in your invoices is 15% or 7% (during the rest of your first tax year as a freelancer and following two years). So if you will start as a freelancer this month, you can deduct only 7% IRPF until December 2010.

Another thing: each three months (when a tax trimester comes to its end) you're obliged to pay back to the State the VAT you have previously collected from your clients in your invoices.

That's all (more or less).

Regards from Andalusia
Monika
Collapse

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:13
Portuguese to English
small addition Jun 10, 2008

Just to add one thing to Monika's excellent resumé - if you have clients outside Spain, you don't charge then VAT (IVA) and you don't deduct IRPF. If you want to know how this works, try searching for "operador intracomunitario" in the Spanish foreign language forum. Lots of good advice there. The Hacienda may tell you otherwise, but take that with a pinch of salt - they're not always clued up on this aspect.

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Registering as a freelancer

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »