https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_spain_la_traducci%C3%B3n_en_espa%C3%B1a/125084-can_i_work_as_a_freelancer_on_a_student_visa_.html

Can I work as a freelancer on a student visa ?
Thread poster: Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:22
English to French
+ ...
Jan 15, 2009

Hello,

I am thinking about following my studies in Spain next year and I wanted to know if the freelance business was regulated by any kind of regulation ?

Given that I am planning to do some occasional translating job if I pursue this project, will I be able to do my freelancing activity without any problem or will I have to put it on standby knowing that I'll be on a student visa.

Given that I'll go back to my country anyway and that my tax declaration i
... See more
Hello,

I am thinking about following my studies in Spain next year and I wanted to know if the freelance business was regulated by any kind of regulation ?

Given that I am planning to do some occasional translating job if I pursue this project, will I be able to do my freelancing activity without any problem or will I have to put it on standby knowing that I'll be on a student visa.

Given that I'll go back to my country anyway and that my tax declaration isn't in Spain, is this activity forbidden as I will be living in Spain temporarily ? Or do they consider the fact that business is preexisting and that I'm working with foreign agencies ?

Thanks for your answers in advance.
Collapse

Monika Jakacka Márquez
Monika Jakacka Márquez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:22
Polish to Spanish
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
place of registration as a freelancer Jan 19, 2009

Hello,

I guess that everything depends on where are you planning to be registered as a freelancer. I mean that you can work in Spain as a Spanish freelancer (Spanish law and tributary regulations will apply as you will be registered in Spain) or you can work in Spain as a foreign freelancer (so you'll be registered in the country of your usual residence, pay taxes there and respect the tax regulations of this country).

I hope you understood the difference between both o
... See more
Hello,

I guess that everything depends on where are you planning to be registered as a freelancer. I mean that you can work in Spain as a Spanish freelancer (Spanish law and tributary regulations will apply as you will be registered in Spain) or you can work in Spain as a foreign freelancer (so you'll be registered in the country of your usual residence, pay taxes there and respect the tax regulations of this country).

I hope you understood the difference between both options as it's a little bit complicated

Actually, nobody matters where do you physically live. What is important is the address you've indicated while registering as a freelancer (this address should be indicated in all invoices you'll issue). But as you usually work through Internet, nobody cares if your actually living in Spain or not.

The point is that for non-EU citizens it's not permitted to work in Spain (employed by someone or self-employed as a freelancer) while you're here on a student visa.

B. Beneficiarios régimen extracomunitario con tarjeta de estancia para estudios.

Por regla general, los ciudadanos de los países no incluidos en el apartado anterior “A” admitidos con fines de estudio no estarán autorizados para ejercer una actividad retribuida por cuenta propia ni ajena.

Ahora bien, si durante tu estancia tienes que realizar prácticas que forman parte del plan de estudios y se producen en el marco de convenios de colaboración entre una empresa y la universidad, no será necesario tramitar ninguna autorización de trabajo.

Por otro lado, si quieres compaginar estudios y trabajo sí que será necesario obtener una autorización de trabajo teniendo en cuenta tres aspectos:

1. Los contratos se ajustarán a la modalidad de tiempo parcial y el horario laboral no puede coincidir con el horario lectivo.

2. Si el contrato tiene que ser a jornada completa, su duración no podrá superar los tres meses ni tampoco coincidir con periodos lectivos.

3. La vigencia de la autorización de trabajo coincidirá con la duración del contrato y no podrá ser superior a la autorización de estancia por estudios.

http://www.bcu.cesca.es/castella/blau/paginas/treballar1.html

So the only solution I find is to register as a freelancer in your country and act as if you were living there (pay taxes in you country, obey your country legislation, etc.). You can still contact agencies here, but the only difference would be that on your invoices will appear your foreign address and foreign data (VAT number or any other data you have to indicate, according to regulations of your country).
For more information regarding the possibility of applying this second option, you should contact appropiate office or institution in your country.

Best regards,

M.
Collapse

Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:22
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ! Jan 19, 2009

Monika Jakacka wrote:

Hello,

I hope you understood the difference between both options as it's a little bit complicated

Actually, nobody matters where do you physically live. What is important is the address you've indicated while registering as a freelancer (this address should be indicated in all invoices you'll issue). But as you usually work through Internet, nobody cares if your actually living in Spain or not.

The point is that for non-EU citizens it's not permitted to work in Spain (employed by someone or self-employed as a freelancer) while you're here on a student visa.

B. Beneficiarios régimen extracomunitario con tarjeta de estancia para estudios.

Por regla general, los ciudadanos de los países no incluidos en el apartado anterior “A” admitidos con fines de estudio no estarán autorizados para ejercer una actividad retribuida por cuenta propia ni ajena.

Ahora bien, si durante tu estancia tienes que realizar prácticas que forman parte del plan de estudios y se producen en el marco de convenios de colaboración entre una empresa y la universidad, no será necesario tramitar ninguna autorización de trabajo.

Por otro lado, si quieres compaginar estudios y trabajo sí que será necesario obtener una autorización de trabajo teniendo en cuenta tres aspectos:

1. Los contratos se ajustarán a la modalidad de tiempo parcial y el horario laboral no puede coincidir con el horario lectivo.

2. Si el contrato tiene que ser a jornada completa, su duración no podrá superar los tres meses ni tampoco coincidir con periodos lectivos.

3. La vigencia de la autorización de trabajo coincidirá con la duración del contrato y no podrá ser superior a la autorización de estancia por estudios.

http://www.bcu.cesca.es/castella/blau/paginas/treballar1.html

So the only solution I find is to register as a freelancer in your country and act as if you were living there (pay taxes in you country, obey your country legislation, etc.). You can still contact agencies here, but the only difference would be that on your invoices will appear your foreign address and foreign data (VAT number or any other data you have to indicate, according to regulations of your country).
For more information regarding the possibility of applying this second option, you should contact appropiate office or institution in your country.

Best regards,

M.

Thanks ! It's very enlightening

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I work as a freelancer on a student visa ?

Translation news in Spain

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »