Nathalie Coutelle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:08
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Jan 14, 2016

Hi there,

I am reaching out to those who did the procedure to obtain the NIE in Spain.

I had understood that on the day of the NIE application, you get a provisional NIE that you can use straight away for other procedures (opening bank account, etc...).

Today, my "gestor" told me it can take up to 3 weeks and I cannot use the provisional NIE in the meantime.

Can you please tell me your experience ?

Thanks

... See more
Hi there,

I am reaching out to those who did the procedure to obtain the NIE in Spain.

I had understood that on the day of the NIE application, you get a provisional NIE that you can use straight away for other procedures (opening bank account, etc...).

Today, my "gestor" told me it can take up to 3 weeks and I cannot use the provisional NIE in the meantime.

Can you please tell me your experience ?

Thanks

Nathalie
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
It will vary by province and maybe even by municipality Jan 14, 2016

Nathalie Coutelle wrote:

Here are references that suggest it doesn't happen immediately in some places:
http://www.javeamigos.com/dir_redtape/index_redtape_nie.htm
http://suitelife.com/blog/moving-to-barcelona/how-to-get-a-spanish-nie-number-its-kind-of-a-big-deal/

Although I'm pretty sure that it is immediate where I live in Fuerteventura.

You should be able to open a bank account with your passport and then give them the NIE when you have it, as a temporary measure, although they are tightening up their procedures every day.

Karin Murarova
Karin Murarova  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 06:08
Member (2011)
English to Slovak
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
ONE MONTH APPROX. Jan 14, 2016

I received it one month after I had filed the application and all the required documents. Yes you can use the provisional NIE along with your national ID or Passport.

[Edited at 2016-01-14 18:03 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 14:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
It varies Jan 15, 2016

If you're already in Spain, I think you will find that you can do most things one way or the other until you finally get your NIE. For example, opening a bank account should be relatively easy, especially with the banks working online like ING and similar. Or if you already have an account with a UK bank that has subsidiaries/branches in Spain.

PS: I suspect you may be suffering from the French/UK mindset, where we like to have things well organised, running as smoothly and efficien
... See more
If you're already in Spain, I think you will find that you can do most things one way or the other until you finally get your NIE. For example, opening a bank account should be relatively easy, especially with the banks working online like ING and similar. Or if you already have an account with a UK bank that has subsidiaries/branches in Spain.

PS: I suspect you may be suffering from the French/UK mindset, where we like to have things well organised, running as smoothly and efficiently as possible. As the saying goes, "Spain is different", and over the years I've found that the best way to react when faced with obstacles and delays is just to accept that this is the way things go here, and try not to worry about it too much, especially when it comes to anything to do with bureaucracy or officialdom. Hence the old adage, "Las cosas de palacio van despacio"...

[Edited at 2016-01-15 10:34 GMT]
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
It was immediate until July 2012 Jan 15, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:
Although I'm pretty sure that it is immediate where I live in Fuerteventura.

You should be able to open a bank account with your passport and then give them the NIE when you have it, as a temporary measure, although they are tightening up their procedures every day.

It was indeed immediate (the definitive green NIE), I got it in 10 minutes in November 2011, the law changed in July 2012.

Now they give you a provisional one, which let you register at Hacienda and Seguro Social, you can also open a bank account, rent an apartment and so on.

When you can demonstrate that you have a job and a residence you come back to the "Comisaria" for the final (green card) NIE, yes the timing depends on the town, the bigger, the slower.

P.S. I know many people (i.e British and Italian) who opened a bank account and registered with Hacienda and Seguro and rent an apartment with the provisional NIE, unless things have changed in the last 3 months this was true, and I am sure, until September 2015.

Your Gestor is wrong.

[Edited at 2016-01-15 16:11 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Lol... Jan 15, 2016

neilmac wrote:
PS: I suspect you may be suffering from the French/UK mindset, where we like to have things well organised, running as smoothly and efficiently as possible. As the saying goes, "Spain is different"

Everything is relative, in my case (being Italian) I found Spain very organised and quick in terms of bureaucracy

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
"Vuelve usted mañana"... Jan 15, 2016

Angie wrote:

P.S. I know many people (i.e British and Italian) who opened a bank account and registered with Hacienda and Seguro and rent an apartment with the provisional NIE, unless things has changed in the last 3 months this was true, and I am sure, until September 2015.

Your Gestor is wrong.

[Edited at 2016-01-15 11:44 GMT]

It certainly seems as though the gestor prefers to err on the side of caution.
And from what I’ve heard, Italy is indeed a can of even more wiggly worms. I suppose it is mainly pot luck regarding the bureaucrats you have to deal with. I tried for several years to get the Valencia traffic police to accept that I had scrapped an old Vespa, even though I didn’t have any documentation to prove it. After several attempts over the years, all it needed was one decent human being behind the desk to say, “yes we can” and that was it. All my previous attempts had come up against a brick wall.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I think Nathalie would be happy to get ANYTHING immediately Jan 15, 2016

Angie Garbarino wrote:
Now they give you a provisional one, which let you register at Hacienda and Seguro Social, you can also open a bank account, rent an apartment and so on.

I think that's the one she's been told she has to wait for.
P.S. I know many people (i.e British and Italian) who opened a bank account and registered with Hacienda and Seguro and rent an apartment with the provisional NIE, unless things has changed in the last 3 months this was true, and I am sure, until September 2015.

Yes, that's my understanding, too, except that I thought you had to have residency before being accepted by the Seguro.

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Well, not excatly Jan 15, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Yes, that's my understanding, too, except that I thought you had to have residency before being accepted by the Seguro.

I experienced this fact with my son, he took the provisional nie giving my address, and with this one he registered where he needed (Seguro and Hacienda), after that in about 1 month (but it was Ibiza in July, normally 1-2 weeks are enough), he took the green nie (residence) and went to the Municipality for the "empadronamiento".

This happened last summer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spain - Getting the NIE - how long ?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »