ProZ.com global directory of translation services
 The translation workplace
Ideas

User
The internet speeds up the process of language change

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "The internet speeds up the process of language change".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 11:25
Partial member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Non-selectable language use is rarely desired Aug 16, 2010

Both English and my native language are affected by Internet in the same manner. Now most people can use computer keyboard like driving a car but licensing is another matter. Too quick language corrupts written language, and also speaking language via PC multimedia. The world is quick to communicate and liberate thought. But can we guarantee the better quality. Now Internet users suffer mouse-clicking disease and plenty of acronyms. As means of communication, I understand that Internet language will not last long, like many popular slangs. I refer a slow but sure way of Internet language. Tools such as Google are quite effective in this manner as well.

Best regards,

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Direct link Reply with quote

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:25
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Double error (spelling and sense) Aug 17, 2010

One example of this is evident in Ukraine, where a written variation of the national tongue has sprung up on internet blogs and message boards called “padronkavskiy zhargon” – in which words are spelled out phonetically.

First, it’s “padonkavskiy”, no “r” inside (derived from “padonak” ≈ “lowlife”). Second, this is for Russian (in which spelling often does not match pronunciation), not for Ukrainian. The Ukrainian orthography is almost fully phonetic.

The article also says:

The Mac and Linux communities even have their own word for people who prefer Microsoft Windows - віндузятники (vinduzyatnyky literally means "Windowers" but the "nyky" ending makes it derogatory).

The mentioned word is just borrowed from Russian, nothing genuinely Ukrainian.

Dmitri Chik
Belarus
Local time: 07:25
Member (2013)
English to Russian
+ ...
fully agree, esperantisto Aug 19, 2010

I spotted those errors myself, too, and wanted to comment them, but then noticed that you were quicker at doing that. I thought BBC News was a reliable source of information, but now it seems applicable unless they cover something you know too well...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
RominaZ[Call to this topic]
Maria Kopnitsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The internet speeds up the process of language change

Fluency Translation Suite
Come see the Fluency Difference and SAVE

The most affordable and easy to learn translation tool! Start and finish your translations faster than ever with Fluency Translation Suite 2013. TMs, Terminology, and Online Resources are fully integrated and only a click away. Download a free trial today

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2014 Starter Edition
Translation software for only €99 per year

The Starter Edition is an affordable but scaled down version of the industry’s leading translation software, SDL Trados Studio 2014 Freelance. It enables translators to join the largest supply chain at a reduced price.

More info »