Google sets up a community site to help improve Google Translate

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Google sets up a community site to help improve Google Translate".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Olga Koepping
Olga Koepping  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:05
German to English
+ ...
I guess... Jul 29, 2014

it's useful for people to understand things they just need a quick reference for. But I do start to wonder where this brave new world of "free stuff" will end...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:05
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
So this is it? Jul 30, 2014

Isn't relying on "language connoisseurs" (whatever that may mean) to improve the Google Translate service quite a sign that Google admits that their technology is not progressing at the pace they expected? To me this indicates that human translators will be here for a very long time indeed. Honestly I do not think that adding crowdsourcing to Google Translate will yield too good a result.

Michal Fabian
Michal Fabian  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:05
Dutch to Slovak
+ ...
Sounds like a vain attempt... Jul 30, 2014

... but at the same time, it's basically Google admitting that machine translation is simply not good enough. And I like to hear that.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:05
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Me too Jul 30, 2014

Michal Fabian wrote:

... but at the same time, it's basically Google admitting that machine translation is simply not good enough. And I like to hear that.

Yes - it's a sign of desperation. Google has found out the hard way that automatic translation doesn't work.

[Edited at 2014-07-30 08:24 GMT]

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:05
English to German
+ ...
Simple brave new world Jul 30, 2014

Heck yeah! Let's waste work time for free for a Machine.

Tom in London wrote:

Michal Fabian wrote:

Yes - it's a sign of desperation. Google has found out the hard way that automatic translation doesn't work.

Hope it stays that way - that language stays a few steps away (in front of) simplified-solution-machinists. They'll try to change that, this will not end. Let's work on giving them reasons to admit that language complexity is an a bit too tough a nut to be cracked by a simple code (or thousands of them).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google sets up a community site to help improve Google Translate

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »