Thread poster: Maria Paula Campagnari Bueno
Maria Paula Campagnari Bueno
Maria Paula Campagnari Bueno  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:08
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 15, 2008

Hi all!
I have a doubt about delivery time request. If a PM tells me the delivery time of a project is "GMT 5 pm" and I live in Brazil, which is GMT-3, what time in my country should I deliver the project? Is it 5 pm or 2 pm?
Thank you so much!

RichardDeegan
RichardDeegan
Local time: 16:08
Spanish to English
GMT is an absolute Sep 15, 2008

GMT is an absolute time zone/reference, just as EST, CST, Brazil time or any other, and applies regardless of location. In your case, if your local reference is GMT- 3, you would have to deliver at 2 PM your local time.

Elin Davies
Elin Davies  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Welsh
+ ...
GMT or BST Sep 15, 2008

If your client is based in the UK, make sure they mean GMT when they say GMT and not British Summer Time / Daylight Saving Time which would put them four hours ahead of you, and your deadline would be 1pm not 2pm. I've had clients giving a GMT deadline when they mean 5pm when they leave the office, not GMT.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:08
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Here is a nice tool Sep 15, 2008

I couldn't do without this website:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

Check out the various functions - you can do conversions, look up individual cities and what not. I personalized mine and I have bookmarks for my clients called "Berlin", "Paris", "Miami", etc. You even get the weather report..
... See more
I couldn't do without this website:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

Check out the various functions - you can do conversions, look up individual cities and what not. I personalized mine and I have bookmarks for my clients called "Berlin", "Paris", "Miami", etc. You even get the weather report..

Especially the various daylight saving times can be a pest.

[Edited at 2008-09-15 23:36]
Collapse

Maria Paula Campagnari Bueno
Maria Paula Campagnari Bueno  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:08
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 16, 2008

Thank you so much!! All your information helped me a lot! This is what I'm gonna do: since it is a first time client, I'm gonna finish the project today and deliver it today as well. Next time I'll ask him if he meant actual GMT or the time he leaves the office. I guess that's safer, right? Thank you again!

James_xia
James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Do it as RichardDeegan said Apr 30, 2009

It's a funy question. Sometimes living a different country mgith get confused with the time differences. RichardDeegan has shown you a good way to figure it out.

By the way, there is another useful rule you can follow: the best delivery time is alway the day before the deadline set by the PM.

Best wishes to the May Day!

[Edited at 2009-04-30 15:06 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with time schedule

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »