Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:43
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I fully understand you Dec 5, 2014

Pierret Adrien wrote:

I, for one, have developed a holy aversion for rushed jobs through the years. But that's my problem.

Me too . I'm more of an artisan of translations

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
For sure! Dec 5, 2014

luattrihung wrote:

"100.000 words" ==> Today 5 December. Have you finished?

LOL. Of course I have finished with them!

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree Dec 5, 2014

Maija Cirule wrote:

and deleted them without any hesitation. To deal with such an unprofessional offer, ad oculos means to ask for trouble.

I agree with you. But I must confess that I hesitated for 30mn

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:43
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Hundreds of translators? Dec 5, 2014

If each translates 4000 words one would need only 25 translators.
I agree that this case does not look real, a real case could be something like 97000 words. So they are probably phishing.

The truth is that often a company finds out they need a big job done in very little time. Then they contact an agency with a large pool of translators do get it through, and someone at their side will polish it up before the big meeting.
So such jobs could be real, but I would charge m
... See more
If each translates 4000 words one would need only 25 translators.
I agree that this case does not look real, a real case could be something like 97000 words. So they are probably phishing.

The truth is that often a company finds out they need a big job done in very little time. Then they contact an agency with a large pool of translators do get it through, and someone at their side will polish it up before the big meeting.
So such jobs could be real, but I would charge my normal rate, at least 0.15 USD for EN-DE.

Such rush jobs are not very decent, but the money looks good on your account sheet.
Collapse

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm just suspicious Dec 5, 2014

So such jobs could be real, but I would charge my normal rate, at least 0.15 USD for EN-DE.

Such rush jobs are not very decent, but the money looks good on your account sheet.

I would charge my normal rate x 2 at least. No, they are not decent, that's why I don't accept them. Money may look good, but we have to think about the future of translation too, and about dignity of our job. If we ourselves don't take on decent jobs, why should others offer them?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
If the client checks out, do it Dec 5, 2014

Susana E. Cano Méndez wrote:
TRANSLATION (LEGAL)
Source language : English
Target language : Spanish
Deadline : 5 December (3 PM Paris time)
Number of words (100.000 words to divide between several
translators)

Would you be interested and available for this project?
How many words would you like to take?

If you're happy that the client is who the client says he is (e.g. you can phone him and speak to him directly), then I think this may be a nice opportunity for some extra cash, if the rate is acceptable. You can choose how many words you want to do. You can take a small portion at first (to get a feel for the text), and I'm sure if you deliver it quickly the client will still have words left for you. If the client is happy to get lower quality from you than he would get otheriwse, then what's the problem?

[Edited at 2014-12-05 10:40 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dignity Dec 5, 2014

Money may look good, but we have to think about the future of translation too, and about dignity of our job.

I don't see how accepting rush jobs impede on the dignity of the profession, unless you're a literary or an academic translator...

[Edited at 2014-12-05 10:42 GMT]

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm not... Dec 5, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:

If you're happy that the client is who the client says he is (e.g. you can phone him and speak to him directly), then I think this may be a nice opportunity for some extra cash, if the rate is acceptable. You can choose how many words you want to do. You can take a small portion at first (to get a feel for the text), and I'm sure if you deliver it quickly the client will still have words left for you. If the client is happy to get lower quality from you than he would get otheriwse, then what's the problem?

[Edited at 2014-12-05 10:40 GMT]

The problem is that I'm not happy with that client, not only because of the rush-job. I won't lower my quality, also. And let's face it: the deadline is so tight that we couldn't even have the time to phone him/her) Anyway, time is counting and they must have translated almost 95,000 words by now.

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Dec 5, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:

Money may look good, but we have to think about the future of translation too, and about dignity of our job.

I don't see how accepting rush jobs impede on the dignity of the profession, unless you're a literary or an academic translator...

[Edited at 2014-12-05 10:42 GMT]

Samuel, if you have followed the thread, you must see that not only a rush-job is at stake.

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
See you later! Dec 5, 2014

Dear colleagues,

Thank you for replying: all opinions matter and we learn all the way.

I have an ongoing job, so I will log in later on.

See you!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Translated by XXX translators? Dec 7, 2014

Adrien Esparron wrote:

100 000 words in a little more than 24 hours... about 50 translators ???

No comment !

I agree with Adrien.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do they really want this?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »