Mobile menu

Association names...do I translate them?
Thread poster: Patricia Ramirez
Patricia Ramirez  Identity Verified
Dominican Republic
Local time: 22:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 5, 2008

Hi everyone!!

I´ve been trying to search the forums with no luck regarding this matter. I am translating a website which has a lot of names of associations in its text. Every time I see a name of an association I go to their website to see if they have a Spanish translation for their name (some of them do), what do you do when they don´t have their name translated? Do you translate it yourself?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Patricia

Direct link Reply with quote

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:13
French to English
Ask the customer ... Apr 5, 2008

If they have a preference, follow their instructions, but I would say no, you shouldn't translate association names, and you are doing the right thing by checking their websites to see if they have 'official' translations or not.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I only use their official translation Apr 5, 2008

I check their web site and, if they have an official translation of their own there, certainly I use it.

If they do not have an official translation, it has to be left in the original language, but you can (and no doubt should) add an explanation somewhere. You could either put a translation of the name as a footnote or you could add a gloss, e.g. "the xxxxx association XXXXX" (the small x's stand for the type of association, or the subject of it, the large X's for the name in the source language).

Patricia Ramirez  Identity Verified
Dominican Republic
Local time: 22:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 5, 2008

Thanks Lori and Astrid for your input!

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Original (translation) Apr 6, 2008

I usually put down the name of the association or company in the original language, with a translation between brackets:
Academisch Ziekenhuis (university hospital)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Association names...do I translate them?

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs