https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/102152-translating_footnotes.html

Translating footnotes
Thread poster: jere_bilic
jere_bilic
jere_bilic
Local time: 14:59
English to Croatian
+ ...
Apr 13, 2008

I am a relatively green translator, and so this may come off as a stupid question to some, but here goes.

I am translating an academic document with a lot of footnotes referencing works in Croatian / Bosnian / Serbian which either a) haven't been translated into English or b) are unavailable to me. Should I leave the titles as they are or should I translate them into English?

Thanks!

Peter Manda (X)
Peter Manda (X)
Local time: 08:59
German to English
+ ...
footnotes Apr 13, 2008

leave them as they are but put a translation in a parenthetical after the work title and/or citation depending on what manual of style you use. see generally http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/home.html, for example.

Kristina Kolic
Kristina Kolic  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Original and translation Apr 13, 2008

Personally, if there is no "official" translation (as there would be in case of books translated and published in English), I always leave the original and add a translation in parenthesis

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Never in scientific works Apr 14, 2008

For the very simple reason that scientific works always need to be referred to in such a way that the reader can find the books/articles/monographs or whatnot for further study.
If you start translating titles, this is impossible.

Always leave the titles as they are. If you happen to know there is an 'official' translation, you can add that in the bibliography that should be given at (usually) the end of the book/document. Like this: Book A, ...by mr. C (translated into Engli
... See more
For the very simple reason that scientific works always need to be referred to in such a way that the reader can find the books/articles/monographs or whatnot for further study.
If you start translating titles, this is impossible.

Always leave the titles as they are. If you happen to know there is an 'official' translation, you can add that in the bibliography that should be given at (usually) the end of the book/document. Like this: Book A, ...by mr. C (translated into English under the title 'blah, blah, blah', published month, year, by...).
Collapse

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:59
Russian to English
+ ...
Style Apr 14, 2008

You can always ask your client for preferred style in this regard (and I recommend it). But you should always include the original title. After all, any reader who wants to find the work is going to have to look for it under that title.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating footnotes

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »