Thread poster: maker
maker  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 04:49
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Apr 18, 2008

I have received quite a few e-mails from a large company based in Luxembourg, which I have done tests for and sent personal and business information to. Now, in addition to all the information already sent, including my CV, they request that I send them a copy of my passport in order to start working for them.
This seems strange to me. Why would they need that?
This office is based in Latvia.

Also, they have this request:

"For translations in which there is a certain amount of re-currency or where the Translation Memory already contains a certain amount of matches, the following Trados discounts shall be applied.

Trados discounts:

100% matches & repetitions: 25% of standard rate (= reduction of 75% of normal rate)

Fuzzy matches (50% to 99%): = 50% of standard rate (= reduction of 50% of normal rate)

No match: = 100% of standard rate (no reduction)"

What would you do?

Direct link Reply with quote

Suzanne Blangsted  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:49
Danish to English
+ ...
No passport Apr 18, 2008

I would definitely NOT send a copy of a passport. They don't need that to do business with you. I also had a request like that from a company in Latvia. It might be the same one. I could not find enough information in cyberspace about the company to verify that it was a real business and a good company.

The code number on the passport is unique but it can unfortunately be copied. I would NEVER give out passport information.

According to your note, they alreay have the information they need to do business with you, and you might indeed already have been giving them too much information. You must be careful about that. Identity theft is rampant.

The Trados discounts are not uncommon.

What I did: I told them that I don't have a passport at the present time, since I don't plan to do any travel in the near future. (I do have a passport).

I have of course, not heard from the company since they didn't get the passport information. I therefore feel I avoided being scammed.

suz

Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
No passport, but... Apr 18, 2008

I think you ought to understand that there might be historical reasons (in Latvia) for requesting a passport from unknown people, still, I think you can refuse it, explaining that this is not the normal course of doing business.

As to the Trados rates, these ones are quite generous, I think (I recently was offered a job with 10% of the normal rate above 95% (a 90% discount) - but full price started there from 80% matches already. The point is that a 95% match may mean that just a date or one number was changed in the text (say, an annual report) and they do not want to pay the full price, each year. (Actually, Trados' objective was to save time for translators, but it turned out to be weapon against translators.) What is worse is that some agencies refuse to pay for repetitions and full matches at all. (Well, don't work for them.)

But in practice, when several translators work on a project, you can have very bad surprises with the 100% matches, and if WinAlign was used, you can see sometimes sheer nonsense, due to wrong segmentation. So it might make sense to insist on the application of such discounts only in your own recurring translations, finally, you invest into that CAT, it should bring money to yourself, first of all.

So if they do not insist on passport and they deliver decent jobs, I think you can safely work for them. If they do insist on the passport issue, I would simply forget them - there sooooo many agencies in the world...!

maker  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No passport. Apr 18, 2008

I do believe they are a serious company, but I will refuse to send the passport information. Yes, I think it has to do with old regulations, they say themselves it has to do with tax regulations.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:49
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Mind the risks Apr 19, 2008

It has been discussed a lot this tender-business. Agencies who apply collect the details and diplomas of qualified translators, promise decent rates and when given the work start to outsource to cheap freelancers of unknown reputation. The risk is that your details will used in this way.
Regards
Heinrich

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ask for details Apr 19, 2008

Ask them why they need it and the precise tender for which they are applying.

I have seen EU notices asking for expression of interests from translation companies and they don't necessarily request the companies to send the passports of their freelancers.

If indeed they need your a copy of your passport to apply for that tender, then it is a matter of trust.

If I got this request from a company I know (and if it was a valid request) I would not mind giving them a copy of my passport.

If I got this from an unknown company, then I would not necessarily send it.

Trados discounts:

100% matches & repetitions: 25% of standard rate (= reduction of 75% of normal rate)

Fuzzy matches (50% to 99%): = 50% of standard rate (= reduction of 50% of normal rate)

No match: = 100% of standard rate (no reduction)"

There is no real standard in the business regarding trados prices.

I have often seen a slightly different schema, which I consider quite fair:

100% matches: 30% of standard rate
(assuming the quality of the TM is excellent. Some times, the matches you get are so bad that they take you much more than 1/3 of the time it would take you to translate them from scratch.

Fuzzy matches: 75%-99%: 60% of the full rate
(again, assuming good quality in the TM is goog). This will also depend on the language combination. A 75% fuzzy match can require little work when translating from EN into ES but a lot of editing when working from EN into FI.

No match: 0%-75% - Full rate.

In my language pair (EN-ES) a fuzzy match between 50 and 75% normally requires as muchg work as translating it from scratch, that's why I think it is fair pay those "fuzzy" as if they were no matches.

I hope this helps!

Daniel

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:49
Flemish to English
+ ...
Twice no.... Apr 19, 2008

No passport and no discount. A (certified) copy of a passport can be used for banking purposes and falsification. Remember the BBC-Panorama broadcast where a Ukranian member of the Panorama staff had to obtain E.U.-Member-State passport. In the Baltics, this was not a big problem.
If I were you I would contact the DG External Translation about this agency and the conditions of concluding the agreement with External Translation. Nothing forbides you contacting an E.U.-department. That way, you know if External Translation required a copy of your passport and a discount for the use of Trados or if the agency is gaining double.

[Bearbeitet am 2008-04-19 12:24]

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Here are some invitations to tender Apr 19, 2008

In case it helps, here are some invitations to tender from the European Parliament:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/tenders/invitations.htm

They don't request copies of passports although they request CVs of staff working for the agency.

I have seen other invitations to tender where CVs of freelancers working for the translation agency were requested but not passports.

Maybe other Community institutions have other procedures but I am sure that the agency would be able to explain to you why they want it.

Daniel

biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
No passport Apr 19, 2008

I agree with those who say - dont send the passport copy. Even if its a EU tender they have no official reason to request such thing from you (at least no agency ever has asked me for my passport if they apply for EU projects).

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:49
French to English
As others have said Apr 21, 2008

Now, .... they request that I send them a copy of my passport in order to start working for them.
This seems strange to me. Why would they need that?

What would you do?

As others have said, I would ask why.
What is the need that your passport details will meet?
Once I knew what the agency's actual requirement was, then I would decide how best to meet it.
(As others have said, you might not actually possess a passport at the moment, so it is to be hoped there is another way to meet the agency's need).

maker  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And now it´s all quiet... Apr 23, 2008

I have replied that I will not send any passport information.
Since that, I have not heard from them.
I am so glad it did not work out...

Thanks to everyone for your comments!

MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
that is really enough Apr 23, 2008

I think this is the same company from Lux (it is a regret that I cannot mention the name of it here) that has a branch in Latvia (a 99 % probability). And that Latvian company is 99 % probability the same agency that deducts taxes from non-Latvian citizen translators (free-lancers). This "consortium" from time to time organizes email attacks demanding CVs and whatever possible for their EU tenders, i.e. they actually collect data (even if you reply "Dear folks, I do not want to hear about your tenders, and actually anything from you"). Then not a surprise if they ask for a passport copy, or next time they ask for a mental health test certificate confirmed by the president of your country.

All in all - no one reasonable ever asks a passport copy. For cooperation these people shall only have your full contact info (name, surname, telephone, skype and whatever, maybe mailing address), your IBAN and invoices. OK, CV can be attached. Maybe a scan of diploma (as a proof of your education for some formal purposes). That is ALL. What are those passport copies for? Moreover, I am almost sure that it is against the law to demand a passport copy (in the sense that passport copy contains sensitive personal information and this information is excess data - this is said so, at least, in the EU legislation about personal data protection). For an unknown agency or someone else "from the street" who demands passport copies I would give NOTHING, nor even try to cooperate. Not even my CV. Imagine a situation when you can become "member of their team" for numerous other tenders (even you can become their "translator") and you can not know about that at all. I'd be cautious providing all this info, papers, not even speaking about passport copies. + I think we shall inform responsible EU institutions about such practices. I think it is enough of all that scam. We shall put an end to it. Let's contact the EU bodies in charge of those tenders.

[Edited at 2008-04-23 20:09]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sending copy of passport/eu tender

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs