Mobile menu

Saving Word files in RTF format
Thread poster: Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:54
French to English
Apr 16, 2003

Although we probably spend much of our time working in Word, in many cases we don\'t actually need to save our work in .doc (i.e. Word) format. Unless a document is particularly complex, the chances are that Rich Text Format (RTF) will be sufficient for our purposes. Just save via File/Save As/Save as type/Rich Text Format (*.rtf). Why bother to do this? Because you save an enormous amount of disk space. For example, in the short translation I am doing at the moment, the document saved as a Word file comes to 24 kb; in RTF it is only 9 kb. Perhaps that doesn\'t seem a lot but multiplied over several hundred files, the difference can be enormous. You are not saving space at the expense of the client either, since nothing is lost along the way.

All the best

Barnaby

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
...but beware of graphics Apr 16, 2003

Word documents with embedded graphics can multiply in size when saved as RTF.

Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Yes, it can cause problems Apr 16, 2003

I normally save documents in .rtf format. However, the other day I was working on a large file containing several graphs etc. and tried to save it in .rtf. I thought I had been successful, closed the file and sent it off. The client couldn\'t open it and, to my horror, neither could I! I had to start all over again.

I won\'t be doing that again in a hurry, that\'s for sure

Sheila

G.Guarnieri
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:54
Italian to English
+ ...
sheila... Apr 16, 2003

when you save a file in .rtf, you should still have the .doc version...

Giovanni

Bob Kerns  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
Who's worried about disk space nowadays? Apr 16, 2003

About the only part of a computer that has consistently become cheaper over the years is the hard disk, in terms of how much disk space you get for your money. So rather than risking loss of formatting and so on by saving Word files in RTF format, just get a hard disk with more space on it. And if you can\'t afford a new hard disk then copy all of your old Word files to CDs and then delete them from the hard disk.

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:54
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
PDFs are more of a problem Apr 16, 2003

for me. They are HUGE, but necessary for a lot of background reading and information.

Off now to download a 6.6 MB monster...

Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Giovanni Apr 16, 2003

Hi Giovanni,

Well, for some reason I didn\'t. I had the original in .doc but not the translated version. Since I use a Mac I had been told it was best to convert Word documents to rtf format so that PC owners could open and read them. After losing this file, a friend told me that this ***used*** to be the case with earlier versions of Windows, but it is no longer true with the newer ones. Unfortunately, I am not very technologically minded, so I don\'t know why I am sure that lots of you out there will though!

Anyway, luckily, despite the document being huge (with embedded graphs etc.), I had only had to translate around 500 words. So, it wasn\'t too hard to start again. But it\'s the last time I\'m going to save any documents with graphs etc. in .rtf.

Quote:

On 2003-04-16 13:27, G.Guarnieri wrote:

when you save a file in .rtf, you should still have the .doc version...

Giovanni

[ This Message was edited by: SJH on 2003-04-16 15:58]

Hans G. Liepert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
Size of PDF files Apr 16, 2003

Quote:

Daina wrote:

hey are HUGE, but necessary for a lot of background reading and information.

PDF-files usually are much smaller than .DOC files with graphics and all.

Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:54
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Big files are a problem at least for sending Apr 16, 2003

Hello,

Just wanted to say that rtf files with graphs can indeed get enourmous. Although that might not be a problem for the computer, it can be a problem if we need to sent the file by e-mail. One of these days I had a rtf file 40MB large (40 pages with 6 graphs in it). I couldn\'t surely send it by e-mail and not everybody works with FTP site yet. Also, this sort of rtf files (large ones with graphs) can slow down Trados as well.

Then after converting it to doc, I got 6 MB

Cheers

Mónica

Karin Adamczyk  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:54
French to English
Not a Windows problem Apr 17, 2003

[quote]

Well, for some reason I didn\'t. I had the original in .doc but not the translated version. Since I use a Mac I had been told it was best to convert Word documents to rtf format so that PC owners could open and read them. After losing this file, a friend told me that this ***used*** to be the case with earlier versions of Windows, but it is no longer true with the newer ones.

[quote]

I don\'t believe this has anything to do with the Windows version, but with the version of Word used.

FWIW,

Karin Adamczyk

Karin Adamczyk  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:54
French to English
Zip them Apr 17, 2003

Quote:

Just wanted to say that rtf files with graphs can indeed get enourmous. Although that might not be a problem for the computer, it can be a problem if we need to sent the file by e-mail. One of these days I had a rtf file 40MB large (40 pages with 6 graphs in it). I couldn\'t surely send it by e-mail and not everybody works with FTP site yet.

Word .doc or .rtf files that are large because of graphics zip down to very small sizes.

HTH,

Karin Adamczyk

Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Word Apr 17, 2003

You are absolutely right, Karin. I meant to say that - as you mentioned, it depends on the version of Word,not Windows. Thanks for pointing that out

I am still not sure of which versions, but my friend said that newer versions are able to read Mac Word files without them being saved in .rtf format, whereas older versions can\'t. I hope I got that right this time

Sheila

[quote]

On 2003-04-17 02:03, kadamczyk wrote:

[quote]

Well, for some reason I didn\'t. I had the original in .doc but not the translated version. Since I use a Mac I had been told it was best to convert Word documents to rtf format so that PC owners could open and read them. After losing this file, a friend told me that this ***used*** to be the case with earlier versions of Windows, but it is no longer true with the newer ones.

Quote:

I don\'t believe this has anything to do with the Windows version, but with the version of Word used.

FWIW,

Karin Adamczyk

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Saving Word files in RTF format

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs