Mobile menu

Can I use SDLX Lite for TRADOS projects?
Thread poster: Thomas Johansson

Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:55
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Apr 21, 2008

I have a program called SDLX Lite on my computer. I think I downloaded it for free from the TRADOS site sometime in the past.

My question is: Does this program, SDLX Lite, enable me to take on jobs marked as "TRADOS" or "TRADOS only"? Any essential limitations?

Any feedback welcome.

Thomas

Direct link Reply with quote

Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:55
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I don't think so Apr 21, 2008

I also have SDLX Lite and Trados and they are very different.
SDLX Lite works only with .itd files.
As for Trados, you can use it with Word + Excel + PowerPoint files + html files.

In short, I don't think it's possible to use SDLX Lite for Trados files. However, let's wait for more feedback from other users. If it's possible, I would also love to know.

Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:55
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
.ttx files Apr 21, 2008

I am working on .ttx files in SDLX Lite (build 6010). You need to pre-translate files in Trados (check "segment unknown sentences) to produce "bilingual" .ttx files first.

Portugal
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Really? Apr 22, 2008

I'm glad to hear that!

I work very often with ttx files, but I use them with TagEditor. It's good to know that there are other possibilities.

Zhoudan wrote:

I am working on .ttx files in SDLX Lite (build 6010). You need to pre-translate files in Trados (check "segment unknown sentences) to produce "bilingual" .ttx files first.

keshab  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:25
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Trados, SDLX, SDLX lite are different programs Apr 22, 2008

At first, Trados and SDL are two different companies. So we could easily identify two different programs. But few years ago SDL purchased Trados and prepared a combine software package named SDL Trados in which two different types of software exists: SDLX and Trados.

But SDLX lite differs with SDLX also! SDLX lite is free and can be downloaded from various site (not only from Trados site) but SDLX not. If you have only SDLX lite, then you can translate only .itd files which are prepared by outsourcer. You can see the final document in SDLX but you cannot make .itd files independently. But you can request outsourcer to send .itd files to translate. It is fruitful for both of you and outsourcer. .Itd files are great, specially for large word document.

[Edited at 2008-04-22 02:16]

Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:55
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
drag down menu Apr 22, 2008

When you try to open a .ttx file in SDLX Lite, a window will pop up, and you click on the drag down menu at "file type." There you have three options: .itd, .ttx, all files. Select ".ttx" or "all files," you will be able to open your ttx file! Remember, it must be a pre-translated .ttx file with both target and source segments.

Elisabete Cunha wrote:

I'm glad to hear that!

I work very often with ttx files, but I use them with TagEditor. It's good to know that there are other possibilities.

Portugal
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks! Apr 22, 2008

Thanks for your explanation.
It's very useful, I will give it a try as soon as possible.

Zhoudan wrote:

When you try to open a .ttx file in SDLX Lite, a window will pop up, and you click on the drag down menu at "file type." There you have three options: .itd, .ttx, all files. Select ".ttx" or "all files," you will be able to open your ttx file! Remember, it must be a pre-translated .ttx file with both target and source segments.

Elisabete Cunha wrote:

I'm glad to hear that!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I use SDLX Lite for TRADOS projects?

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs