Thread poster: Celia Elizabela
Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:51
Spanish to English
Long deadlines are great! May 6, 2008

Maria-Carmen wrote:

Reading the posts that have been put here made me think that I am quite generous with translators when it comes to deadlines -as a Project Manager I usually have to negotiate the deadline both with the client and with the translator/s.

Therefore, I usually tend to take 1,000 - 1,500 words as the average amount a translator can do in a day -so assuming that 10 pages could probably contain around 3,000 words I would offer 2, 3 days to the client.

If the translator can finish the translation sooner, that's all the better -the client will be happy to receive it earlier!

I think your practice is great. Don't change it! I am not usually sitting around doing nothing when a job comes along, so if someone offers me 1,000 words with a three-day deadline, I might be able to accept, because I can tag it onto the end of the queue or fit it in between larger projects, but if the deadline is really tight, the answer will invariably have to be no. The longer the deadline you can negotiate with the client, the more likely you'll be able to get the translator you prefer for the job (assuming there is a preference).

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:51
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Nikki is right May 8, 2008

Maria-Carmen wrote:
Reading the posts that have been put here made me think that I am quite generous with translators when it comes to deadlines...
I usually tend to take 1,000 - 1,500 words as the average amount a translator can do in a day -so assuming that 10 pages could probably contain around 3,000 words I would offer 2, 3 days to the client.

I appreciate your thoughtfulness, and I wish other project managers would follow your example. In reality, better the translator is, less likely he or she is sitting by the computer waiting for your email, but working hard to meet the deadline of jobs already in the pipeline. Yours is the next after those, or slotted in between some other jobs if that is possible.

Also, after an intense 30 000 words job, the 3000 may progress a bit slower than usual, in spite of the generous three days deadline, because that darn long thing had to be finished first, and the brain immersed into one particular subject for some time, has to switch over to another. Not to mention the style of the texts; they are like chalk and cheese. So even if the big job was finished last night, the generous time you allowed will make it possible to do a better job of your project.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Turn around time

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »