Thread poster: Celia Elizabela

Celia Elizabela  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 2, 2008

Hello

What is the turn around time for 10 pages of a document for someone that does not have a CAT tool yet.

Thanks,

Direct link Reply with quote

Catherine Reay  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:47
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
depends on many factors May 2, 2008

Dear Celia,

This is a very subjective question really. It would depend on many things, for example:

subject matter
technicality
expertise in subject
speed of typing
repetitions in the text (even if a CAT tool is not being used)

And possibly factors such as working environment, interruptions, and even whether the translator is having a good/bad day!!

Translators generally know how many 1000s of words they can do on an average day - again it depends on the individual.

If you are asking in order to give a client a quote I would recommend you ask to see the document first before making any commitment. And perhaps add an extra day for unforeseen circumstances.

Regards,
Katy

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!!! May 2, 2008

Your anwser helps me a lot,

Celia

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Next day May 2, 2008

For me, provided my other commitments are not too urgent and the pages are about average.

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANKS May 2, 2008

What CAT tools do you use?

Celia

xxxmediamatrix
Spanish to English
+ ...
Next day. May 2, 2008

Assuming the same things as Henry and that the subject-matter is one of my specialities (and if it's not, then I won't be doing it anyway!).

And before you ask - no CAT tools.

MediaMatrix

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:47
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Depends on field May 2, 2008

Hi Celia,

As Catherine said, it depends on a lot of factors.
To give you just an example: Last week I translated a 27 page hard drive installation and users manual in 6 hours. But, the same day, it took me 2 1/2 hours to translate an 800 word marketing text.
I use Trados in all my translations, but there were no repetitions in the texts, so Trados didn´t help much.
Have a nice weekend!
Marina

[Edited at 2008-05-02 23:52]

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Calculation May 3, 2008

My first translation mentor taught me this general formula: figure that a page is, on average, 220 words long (letter size, normal 10 pitch font, etc.). From that, perform a calculation based on how many words you translate per hour, and add or subtract a percentage depending on the difficulty of the text and all other factors mentioned by the other colleagues (difficulty, time constrains, subject matter, etc.). For instance, if you translate 450 words per hour, that means roughly 1 page per hour. Of course, this is just an example.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:47
English to German
+ ...
Uhm, ten pages of what? May 3, 2008

If you have ten pages loaded with puns, headlines, anecdotes, jokes, philosophical tidbits - next day?

Hahahahaha!

Forget about the CAT tools as long as you are not specializing in boredom.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:47
Member (2004)
English to Italian
next day? May 3, 2008

are we really trying to encourage clients to expect fast turnarounds? I would give a translator 3 days... if, then we mean, how long is it actually going to take me, then yes, following day is possible.

Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
24 hours May 3, 2008

Assuming there are 300 words or fewer on each page, no other deadlines and there is nothing complicated (for me) in the text AND the document is in Word (not PowerPoint, Excel or paper).

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Everyone!!!! May 5, 2008

I appreciate your help very much!!!

Celia

Maria-Carmen
English
Fast turn arounds May 6, 2008

Hi everybody,

Reading the posts that have been put here made me think that I am quite generous with translators when it comes to deadlines -as a Project Manager I usually have to negotiate the deadline both with the client and with the translator/s.

Therefore, I usually tend to take 1,000 - 1,500 words as the average amount a translator can do in a day -so assuming that 10 pages could probably contain around 3,000 words I would offer 2, 3 days to the client.

If the translator can finish the translation sooner, that's all the better -the client will be happy to receive it earlier!

But I do agree that we should not encourage unreasonably fast turnarounds, as the quality will eventually have to suffer because of that! And although at first the client will appreciate an early delivery, they will be not pardon us if we deliver poor quality translation!

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for replying, very good info that helps a lot! May 6, 2008

Maria-Carmen wrote:

Hi everybody,

Reading the posts that have been put here made me think that I am quite generous with translators when it comes to deadlines -as a Project Manager I usually have to negotiate the deadline both with the client and with the translator/s.

Therefore, I usually tend to take 1,000 - 1,500 words as the average amount a translator can do in a day -so assuming that 10 pages could probably contain around 3,000 words I would offer 2, 3 days to the client.

If the translator can finish the translation sooner, that's all the better -the client will be happy to receive it earlier!

But I do agree that we should not encourage unreasonably fast turnarounds, as the quality will eventually have to suffer because of that! And although at first the client will appreciate an early delivery, they will be not pardon us if we deliver poor quality translation!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Turn around time

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums