Mobile menu

Practice Translations
Thread poster: Romado

Romado  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 27, 2008

I’m a Canadian, English is my native language, but I have lived and worked in Mexico City for six years; speaking, reading, and writing Spanish every day. This immersion experience, as well as being married to a Mexican, has allowed me to have a high level of proficiency in Spanish as well. I continue to study the language and to widen my vocabulary.

I am bilingual and I have done informal translations for quite a few years now, but I realize there is more to translation than being bilingual, so I am formally studying Spanish-English translation, and I am looking for other opportunities to learn and practice.

Does anyone know of any practice translation sites where there are articles to translate, where you can then 1) compare them with the same article translated by more experienced translators or 2) receive feedback from experienced translators on your translation?

Thanks a lot, and have a great day!

Direct link Reply with quote
xxxPeter Manda
Local time: 11:29
German to English
+ ...
practice translation sites May 27, 2008

Well, if you really have lots of time, then I would recommend going to any of the EU official websites where the official texts are translated into the sundry languages. A better bunch of translators and translations should be hard to find.

Alternatively, when I was doing reserach on the laws of Mexico in a prior life, I remember that many of the laws and regulations of Mexico have been officially translated and are available on the official websites. Knowing some level of Spanish, I can attest that they are very good translations, indeed. Too, the same can be said for any other Spanish-speaking government ... just follow the official trail.

Finally, I often sit back when I have some real leisure time and compare good translations of good literature. Cien Anos de Soledad or Don Quixote come to mind. A page a day should hone your skills for sure ...

>wait, is that a windmill? ... gotta run!

Romado  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks May 27, 2008

Thanks Peter, that is some good advice, I will check out government websites.

Take care.

Stuart Dowell  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:29
Member (2007)
Polish to English
+ ...
Studies May 28, 2008

If you are formally studying Spanish-English translation, don't you have regular translation assignments to do?

They must keep you busy. Or may you could ask your tutors for more.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Practice Translations

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs