Mobile menu

Fluency does not a translator/interpreter make....
Thread poster: patoupia
United States
Local time: 09:27
Italian to English
+ ...
May 1, 2003

Recently found this website, which is great! I speak & write French and Italian, but was humbled recently when I failed an interpreting test for a job I wanted. I am interested in becoming a translator/interpreter, and live in Southern California (Ventura). Any suggestions on how to make the leap? Programs, methods, techniques, etc. Would love to go to Monterey, and maybe ultimately I will, but it\'s kind of pricey. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Direct link Reply with quote
Jane Lamb-Ruiz  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
go to Paris, the ESIT May 1, 2003

It\'s basically free - about 500 a year - and it\'s one of the best. All you gotta do is pay to live while you are there....It will take you two years if you are excellent and three if they make you repeat a year, which most people do...

There\'s an entrance exam in September.

Ecole Supérieure des Interprètes et Traducteurs

Once you get in, as a student, you can work for 20 hours a week under French law...

Great place, the school and Paris.

Also, and in any case, you need to spend TIME in France and Italy....Learning from stateside is not the same as being surrounded by the language 24 hours a day. If you want to interpret those languages at a high level ie conference interpreting you will have to live in France and Italy or you will never get to a level where you will be able to do conference interpreting. Whoever says otherwise just does not know what it takes. You should spend AT LEAST a year in France and AT LEAST a year in Italy. You can\'t become a qualified interpreter with that combination without living in those countries. Cheers again

[ This Message was edited by: nonogogo on 2003-05-02 14:13]

Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:27
German to Croatian
+ ...
Skills-enhancing exercises May 2, 2003

Follow the link below for a lot of useful information:

a. \"Suggested skills-enhancing exercises for interpreters of all languages\"

b. \"Exersises for sight translation\"

c. \"Exercises to develop and improve simultaneous interpreting skills\"

d. \"List of interpreter/translator training programs\"

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:27
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Wait a little while... May 2, 2003

...Monterey might be made part of the University of California system soon!

George Hopkins
Local time: 18:27
Swedish to English
Don't worry May 5, 2003

Failing an interpreting test is no big deal. However, failing several tests could be an indication that you should perhaps consider a different type of work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fluency does not a translator/interpreter make....

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs