Mobile menu

Translating in acrobat
Thread poster: Aleksus
Aleksus
Local time: 23:18
English to Russian
Jun 13, 2008

Hello,
I was offered a rather large job in Adobe acrobat which involves translating and type-setting data sheets. I have never worked in this format before. What program do I need to do the job? How easy/difficult is it to learn? And how much more do you usually charge for that kind of job compared to a straight Word translation?
Many thanks, A.

[Edited at 2008-06-13 11:31]

[Edited at 2008-06-13 11:36]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:18
English to Dutch
+ ...
Adobe Jun 13, 2008

Adobe Acrobat files can be edited in Adobe Acrobat, which will cost you a penny. An alternative would be Foxit Reader. It can do the same things, and you might be cheaper off.
Another route would be to export the Acrobat file into Word or something. You will need a special converter program for that, and again, that will cost you something (though not as much as Acrobat itself), but will give you the added advantage that you can use TM software. You can then do the translation, and export the result into Acrobat again (for which you would need another third party program again). Then you finalize the file in Acrobat.
Either route is not the easiest task. Be sure to charge by the hour.

Aleksus
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 13, 2008

I was told on the other forum that what I have is actualy a .pdf file which can be read but not edited in Acrobat, as it is essentially "a "photo" of a file and I need a "source file" to work directly in its format. Otherwise it is a DTP job on top of translating. Which is a big pain as I usually do not do it.

Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:18
Member (2008)
French to English
pdf files Jun 14, 2008

The free version of Acrobat only reads PDFs, but the professional version can edit them. As already stated, it is very expensive. However, you might be able to do a trial 30 day download for free that will give you a chance to learn the program and do this job for your client, then if all goes well, you can buy the program (maybe after you get paid for the first job!). The software for converting back and forth between PDF and word has gotten better, but there are still lots of glitches, if you are going to do this kind of work a lot you should probably invest in the program.

Aleksus
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone! Jun 15, 2008

nt

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating in acrobat

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs