Mobile menu

The importance of theatre as part of translators' formation
Thread poster: Dioniso_IT
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 20, 2008

What do you think about the importance of theatre in the education of a translator?
What kind of advantages can it give to a translator?

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Limited Jun 20, 2008

Judging from a talk given by a lady last night it would be very important if one were thinking of translating plays, which she has done. However, the field appears to be quite limited and for the most part not very lucrative.

For translating the kind of material most of us do, it would have no importance.

Local time: 08:59
Romanian to English
+ ...
The pros and cons of theatre Jun 20, 2008

Well, I must say that it enriches your BRITISH vocabulary considerably(!) AND that it ease your work for your future dealings with (televised) plays, as it does for me, right now.

Furthermore, as I said in my other postings, I've been around the subtitling world for some time now (3 years going strong!), doing it for free, out of passion and as a logical mean of improving myself.

YET, I haven't tried tackling TV plays... until now. So, I started with the 'Blackadder' series of the mid '80s. Of course, I adapt them into Romanian.

I use whatever I can to this end.

Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:59
Member (2008)
French to English
I was hoping to hear a different answer Jun 20, 2008

I actually started out as a Theatre Arts major and I was hoping to hear that somebody somewhere actually found some use for it. But I switched to Biology and Biotech, and that does seem to be much more useful for translation. Now if only I could stomach finance, lots of translation work there ... But if I could, I could be one of those rich people actually working in finance and much too good for translation.

[Edited at 2008-06-20 22:28]

Niraja Nanjundan  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:29
German to English
Some thoughts Jun 21, 2008

Reading and watching plays in your source language can help improve your knowledge of the language, just as reading and listening to other genres does. When I lived in Vienna, I loved going to the theatre, and enjoyed plays by playwrights such as Bertolt Brecht, Thomas Bernhard, Odon von Horvath, Arthur Schnitzler and many others.

Acting in amateur theatre groups and training in elocution could possibly help interpreters in communicating clearly and making their voices carry as well as give them confidence when speaking in public. I am only a translator, not an interpreter, so perhaps some of the interpreters can confirm this.

English to Chinese
Helpful Jun 23, 2008

No doubt that the theathe works, it bring the translate theorys to the beginer which is essential for them. But the most one is the practise after the theathe, that really helpful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The importance of theatre as part of translators' formation

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs