Local time: 17:01
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Jul 2, 2008

must be hard for some:

"....This was a project to be done in WORD, not UNICODE. This created a huge
problem for us and is very late. ..."

A little about the context: it's the mixup between the sources in Latin-1 and target in Latin-2. I delivered clean Latin-2 files. Somewhere on the way target (was) turned Latin-1, and the proofreader found a lot of é, where the character č should be (the two occupy the same position in 8bits, č in Latin-2 and é in Latin-1). I ticked off the changes and save all of it in UTF8 to avoid the problem in the future.

And then the above reaction of the agency.

Direct link Reply with quote

Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:01
Italian to Russian
+ ...
I wish I had a handy coding converter Jul 2, 2008

Hi Vito,

your poster is as always intriguing.
A story like yours happened to me too a couple of times, when I used an MT tool (into Russian) and had the same mess with "non-standard" letters in Italian (although not in every Italian text). First of all, I told my client about it (without mentioning the use of MT) and continued translation only after this hidden problem had been understood and a solution agreed.
If it (MT) is not the case, then why didn't you use a Czech or Slovak or whatever, special keyboard?

Regards,

GSL

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 17:01
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The intent of the message is not the character set screwup Jul 3, 2008

I like the agent, but I found the sentence "This was a project to be done in WORD, not UNICODE" simply hilarious. It shows a deeply seated, thorough ignorance of the issues involved. Well, some can survive on the Spanish to English diet for years ... But then the hammer hits: darn, help, Vito has been using Unicode instead of Word.

If it (MT) is not the case, then why didn't you use a Czech or Slovak or whatever, special keyboard?

On the use of a special keyboard - please ... Would I now slap my head and say, darn, how come I have not thought of it would be on the same unbelievable level as the Unicode/word joke above. No, much "unbelievabler": how could one translate 1M+ words to and from Slovenian without using a Slovenian keyboard?

I have been hunting the reason for these kind of screwups for years and I have never succeeded to get it out my few hairs left remaining. My hope is - and its among the ideas for future releases of Trados - that we would get a filter to switch translation memories to Unicode. Then those sneaky e-with-acute characters will be gone, and I will be "free, free at last..."

Regards

Vito

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Staying alive...

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs