Thread poster: C Van Biesen
C Van Biesen
Luxembourg
Local time: 22:52
French to German
+ ...
Jul 7, 2008

Hello everybody!

I'm currently writing a dissertation about the localization of JavaScript scripts.

I'm looking for every possible way of localizing this type of file effectively using different software to protect the code and only render accessible the translatable strings.

How do you localize Javascript files? What software do you use?

Thanks in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

Hüseyin Mergan  Identity Verified
English to Turkish
+ ...
ENlaso Tools Jul 8, 2008

Hi,

As far as I am concerned, Enlaso Rainbow (beta phase) converts javascripts into translatable content by protecting codes and tages. The tool is open source. I used it to convert PHP and ASP files into translatable files. To translate output, you do not need to use special tools. Just a word processor and TM tool are enough. For more information, please visit the link: http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/Rainbow4.html
I hope it works.
Best regards

C Van Biesen
Luxembourg
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 8, 2008

I'm aware of Enlaso Rainbow and the Okapi Framework. I already talk about it in detail in my dissertation. But I was wondering if there are other ways (also worse ways) to handle JavaScript files.
Thank you

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:52
English to Spanish
Swordfish handles JavaScript Jul 13, 2008

Hi Christophe,

You can use Swordfish to localize JavaScript files. It extracts translatable text and protects code.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:52
French to English
+ ...
Will GWT mean less JavaScript? Jul 17, 2008

Something you may want to mention in your dissertation: a framework such as the Google Web Toolkit (GWT) means that programmers no longer have to write in "pure" JavaScript. GWT allows programmers to write in Java. GWT then translates the Java to JavaScript and, significantly, includes a localisation framework, whereby strings to be localised are written in separate files from the outset as you'd expect. So localisation is then done 'at source' rather filtering the script. I think for the time being the level of adoption of GWT is fairly small, but if it or potentially other similar frameworks catch on, it could change the way the localisation of JavaScript is handled in the not too distant future.

[Edited at 2008-07-17 19:21]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

JavaScript localization

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs