Pre-Translation Analysis: What is involved?
Thread poster: andrewj
andrewj
andrewj
English to French
+ ...
Jul 12, 2008

Hey, I am currently studying French and German as an undergrad and I have been given an assignment where I have to pretend I have been asked to translate James Joyces book "A Portrait of The Artist As A Young Man" into a language of my choice (not even specifically French or German). I have to write a pre-translation analysis about it, but the problem is that I am not entirely sure what that means. I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on it for me?

Peter Manda (X)
Peter Manda (X)
Local time: 09:33
German to English
+ ...
pt analysis Jul 13, 2008

I suppose your professor would like you to think through the translation of the book on a practical and a theoretical level.

On the practical level, I suppose he/she would like to see an analysis of the types of obstacles you will face (diction, sentence length, grammatical structure, semiotic reference) and how you will deal with those problems (will you decide to use a CAT? and why? or why not?).

On the theoretical, I suppose he/she would like to see you analyze fro
... See more
I suppose your professor would like you to think through the translation of the book on a practical and a theoretical level.

On the practical level, I suppose he/she would like to see an analysis of the types of obstacles you will face (diction, sentence length, grammatical structure, semiotic reference) and how you will deal with those problems (will you decide to use a CAT? and why? or why not?).

On the theoretical, I suppose he/she would like to see you analyze from Benjamin forward the structural details of the book, the complexities posed by the langue, and the marginal relevance of meaning in the greater linguistic context.

Hope this helps ...

[Edited at 2008-07-13 05:12]
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Cristiane Nord Jul 13, 2008

andrewj wrote:

Hey, I am currently studying French and German as an undergrad and I have been given an assignment where I have to pretend I have been asked to translate James Joyces book "A Portrait of The Artist As A Young Man" into a language of my choice (not even specifically French or German). I have to write a pre-translation analysis about it, but the problem is that I am not entirely sure what that means. I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on it for me?

A book called Text Analysis in Translation: Theory, Methodology, and Didactic Application, by Christiane Nord is very useful in this respect.

Annex C of the EN15038 Translation Standard also includes a list of items. This standard is available in http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dg9xxrf5_69d9xqgp.

[Edited at 2008-07-13 07:39]

andrewj
andrewj
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 13, 2008

Thanks for the information, I just hope I can expand enough on them! Lia Fail, that document could not be found by Google Documents. Is it available anywhere else?

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dg9xxrf5_69d9xqgp Jul 13, 2008

andrewj wrote:

Thanks for the information, I just hope I can expand enough on them! Lia Fail, that document could not be found by Google Documents. Is it available anywhere else?

Sorry, it's the dot at the end, try now:-)

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dg9xxrf5_69d9xqgp

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pre-Translation Analysis: What is involved?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »