Capitalization of educational achievements.
Thread poster: patyjs
patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 27, 2008

How should educational degrees, diplomas and such be capitalized in translations?

I have a text, a short bio, which includes the following:

El señor XXX cuenta con licenciatura en Ciencias de la Educación de la Universidad Autónoma del Estado de Morelos, así como con una Especialidad en Estrategias Psicopedagógicas en la Práctica Docente, Universidad La Salle Campus Cuernavaca, además de un Diplomado en Diseño y elaboración de hipertexto multimedia para la educ
... See more
How should educational degrees, diplomas and such be capitalized in translations?

I have a text, a short bio, which includes the following:

El señor XXX cuenta con licenciatura en Ciencias de la Educación de la Universidad Autónoma del Estado de Morelos, así como con una Especialidad en Estrategias Psicopedagógicas en la Práctica Docente, Universidad La Salle Campus Cuernavaca, además de un Diplomado en Diseño y elaboración de hipertexto multimedia para la educación superior a distancia y escolarizada, en el Instituto de Ciencias de la Educación del la Universidad Autónoma del Estado de Morelos.

My attempt looks like this:

Mr. XXX holds a bachelor’s degree in Educational Sciences from the Autonomous University of the State of Morelos and a Specialty in Psychopedagogical Strategies in Teaching Practice from La Salle University, Cuernavaca Campus, as well as a diploma in Design and development of multimedia hyperlinks for distance and on-site higher education from the Institute of Educational Sciences of the Autonomous University of the State of Morelos.

Should course names be capitalized in translations?

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 13:30
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes Jul 27, 2008

In English yes, including Bachelor's degree and the entire sequence following 'Design and Development... assuming that it is all the title of the diploma.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Capitalization of educational achievements.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »