Nguyen Dieu
Nguyen Dieu  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 01:28
Member (2008)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Aug 14, 2008

On receiving a project, project manager also send you a reference file of the kind that you are working on. The problem is that the reference is not really good, should you strictly refer to the reference or to invent better translation?

[Edited at 2008-08-14 03:55]

USER0059 (X)
USER0059 (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:28
English to Finnish
+ ...
Barring compatibility issues, do improve Aug 14, 2008

Nguyen Cong Dieu wrote:

On receiving a project, project manager also send you a reference file of the kind that you are working on. The problem is that the reference is not really good, should you strictly refer to the reference or to invent better translation?

If I have access to better reference information than that provided by a client, I normally use the former.

However, there may be situations in which non-adherence to the information provided by the client makes the translation incompatible with other material. (In such a case, you might perhaps offer to review that other material as well.) I therefore think it is important to know how the client intends to use the translation.

Nguyen Dieu
Vietnam
Member (2008)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Consistence Aug 14, 2008

A client offers me one part in series of files, but I find hard to follow the reference. if I offer translation in other ways, inconsistence happens!

Karen Stokes
Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:28
Member (2003)
French to English
Ask the client Aug 14, 2008

I would contact the client, explain briefly what the problems with the reference material are and ask for guidance - they are in a better position to judge whether it is more important in this particular situation to opt for consistency or a better translation.

Best,

Karen

Keith Boak
Keith Boak  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:28
Portuguese to English
+ ...
When wrong is right Aug 14, 2008

Karen is right. It has happened to me recently. Even though you are 100% sure you know better, the project manager may have been using the wrong material and providing poor or wrong translations to his client for some time - and they will need to find a way to manage the situation.

Cheers,

K

Nguyen Dieu
Vietnam
Member (2008)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ok Aug 14, 2008

Thank you all for your sharing.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bad reference

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »