Elena Pavan
Elena Pavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:52
Member (2005)
French to Italian
+ ...
Sep 15, 2008

Hi everybody!
A new job proposal has just been plublished on Proz for differents languages.
Here is a part of the text:

"We need professional translators from:
(...)
Most competitive price and best quality/price relation offers will be chosen for our future projects.
Send CV + photo + price per word"

I am probably the only one, but I was quite surprised to see that the ask a photo with your CV!!!! Do you think they can "read" on the pictur
... See more
Hi everybody!

(...)
Most competitive price and best quality/price relation offers will be chosen for our future projects.

I am probably the only one, but I was quite surprised to see that the ask a photo with your CV!!!! Do you think they can "read" on the picture how professional you are? Nice face = good job???
I am curious to see if somebody else had the same reaction.
Thank you!
Elena
Collapse

Rachael Alexander
Rachael Alexander
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
I agree! I wonder what a professional translator looks like?!! Sep 15, 2008

Elena Pavan wrote:

Hi everybody!

(...)

I am probably the only one, but I was quite surprised to see that the ask a photo with your CV!!!! Do you think they can "read" on the picture how professional you are? Nice face = good job???
I am curious to see if somebody else had the same reaction.
Thank you!
Elena

Keith Boak
Keith Boak  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:52
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Pretty Picture Sep 15, 2008

Hi Elena,

I saw it and it put me off applying - don't think I could win a beauty contest!

savaria (X)
savaria (X)
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
ridiculous Sep 15, 2008

I think that's ridiculous!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Extra typing resources Sep 15, 2008

I reckon they want to know whether, in case of a very urgent assignment, your nose is long and pointy enough to type with it. 11 fingers type more than 10!

tradutoraportbr
tradutoraportbr
Local time: 11:52
English to Portuguese
Surprised Sep 15, 2008

I was definetely surprised by the request!!

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
:) Sep 15, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:
I reckon they want to know whether, in case of a very urgent assignment, your nose is long and pointy enough to type with it. 11 fingers type more than 10!

well, my nose would suit)

Maria Diaconu
Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 17:52
English to Romanian
Can I... Sep 15, 2008

... just send the photo?

Andrea Brumma
Andrea Brumma
Spain
English to German
+ ...
Oh my ... Sep 15, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:

Tomás, you have me rolling on the floor laughing! But I seriously consider to give it a try! May come handy (or should I say nosy?), especially with today's workload ...

Sonja Köppen
Sonja Köppen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
:D Sep 15, 2008

Maria Diaconu wrote:
Can I...
... just send the photo?

That's another nice one! Please apply that way and keep me updated.

[Bearbeitet am 2008-09-15 19:39]

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Cultural expectations? Sep 15, 2008

In some countries, CVs are expected to include all sorts of things that seem awfully inappropriate to me: photo, date of birth, marital status, whether you have kids, your hobbies, etc. I wonderful if that's what's going on here.

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 10:52
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree with you!! Sep 15, 2008

Steven Capsuto wrote:

In some countries, CVs are expected to include all sorts of things that seem awfully inappropriate to me: photo, date of birth, marital status, whether you have kids, your hobbies, etc. I wonderful if that's what's going on here.

------------

In my country, asking for a photo (not only any photo, but a recent one) is the most common thing of the world. You must also write down your place/date of birth, marital status and the elementary school you attended, among other things. The most shocking ads for me, ask for a person "de buena presencia" = smart apperance, which means a neat person, mostly white, blond and with light eyes.

I really don't care at all who makes my translation, as long as the result is good. It's a bit of discrimination, I believe...

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Blonde with light eyes? Sep 16, 2008

Cristina Heraud-van Tol wrote:

The most shocking ads for me, ask for a person "de buena presencia" = smart apperance, which means a neat person, mostly white, blond and with light eyes.

I am sure there's a whole lot of people looking like that in your country! So, I guess they are asking, in most cases, for people who have contact lenses and who dye their hair, right?

I agree with you. Doesn't matter what you look like as long as you can provide what you're hired for. Regardless of cultures, I am sure pretty much all clients in the world know what they are paying for - and it ain't pretty eyes or cleavage, let me tell you that.

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Ridiculous... Sep 16, 2008

When you apply for employment in Germany you need to include a (recent) picture of yourself, which I find unnecessary unless you are applying for a job as a model... Some people photograph well, others don't and it is the personal impression someone makes that should count.

Anyhow, asking a freelance translator for a photo is ridiculous and I would not even consider replying. Just as I wouldn't tell an outsourcer if I am married or not, when I was born, whether I have children... So
... See more
When you apply for employment in Germany you need to include a (recent) picture of yourself, which I find unnecessary unless you are applying for a job as a model... Some people photograph well, others don't and it is the personal impression someone makes that should count.

Anyhow, asking a freelance translator for a photo is ridiculous and I would not even consider replying. Just as I wouldn't tell an outsourcer if I am married or not, when I was born, whether I have children... Sorry, in my opinion it's none of their business and doesn't say anything about the quality of my work.

@ Tomás: Brilliant - you had me laughing out loud!
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Different standards Sep 16, 2008

In the U.S. I do not think an prospective employer can require a picture, and discriminating against a person due to such factors as marital and family status and a whole host of others is prohibited. By law such information cannot even be asked. Race, religion, ethnic origin, sex, etc. are among the most important, but often they can be discerned merely by a person's name (and sometimes not), yet people do have to give their names. So there you go.

Many, many years ago I can rememb
... See more
In the U.S. I do not think an prospective employer can require a picture, and discriminating against a person due to such factors as marital and family status and a whole host of others is prohibited. By law such information cannot even be asked. Race, religion, ethnic origin, sex, etc. are among the most important, but often they can be discerned merely by a person's name (and sometimes not), yet people do have to give their names. So there you go.

Many, many years ago I can remember having a very difficult time finding any kind of a decent job because I was not married, and so many employers would advertise that only married men need apply. And precisely men, not women; or only women, not men, and on and on. None of that is legal now.

Seems they figured, rightly or wrongly, that a married man was stuck with more responsibilities and therefore would make a more loyal employee and was more likely to stay on the job because he had to.

I guess they were right in my case because I probably would not have stayed with the job.

[Editado a las 2008-09-16 04:00]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A picture for a translation job!!!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »