Author of text's "clarification"
Thread poster: patyjs

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 25, 2008

I am working on an academic paper about teaching math. I came across this paragraph which I felt was not well written and requested clarification from the author of the text.

Original:

Estas consideraciones sobre lo que significa pensarlo como objeto, a la manera de Fischbein (1993), que se refiere a un objeto matemático, pero establecer esta dicotomía se relacionada más con necesidades teóricas para incluir aspectos matemáticos no formalizados, que con el tratamiento de los objetos matemáticos en si mismos.

Clarification:

Estas consideraciones sobre lo que significa pensarlo como objeto, a la manera de Fischbein (1993), que se refiere a un objeto matemático, la dicotomía entre objeto y concepto se relacionada más con una necesidad teórica para incluir aspectos matemáticos no formalizados, como lo son la posición o la forma, que con el tratamiento de los objetos matemáticos en si mismos.

Sigh.

Direct link Reply with quote

Elena Robles Sanjuan  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:04
English to Spanish
Wow! Sep 25, 2008

patyjs wrote:

Clarification:

Estas consideraciones sobre lo que significa pensarlo como objeto, a la manera de Fischbein (1993), que se refiere a un objeto matemático, la dicotomía entre objeto y concepto se relacionada más con una necesidad teórica para incluir aspectos matemáticos no formalizados, como lo son la posición o la forma, que con el tratamiento de los objetos matemáticos en si mismos.

Sigh.

It is clear that the author of the text doesn´t think that, in order to teach math (or any subject), you need to have an excellent command of your own language. Either that or he hasn´t read his own paper !

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:04
Spanish to English
there's more where that came from Sep 27, 2008

I had to translate an article by a doctorate student in Systems Operations and it took me for ever. Bad enough that the subject is dense, but when the author hasn't a clue about basic grammar and punctuation...

FarkasAndras
Local time: 01:04
English to Hungarian
+ ...
my heart goes out to you Sep 27, 2008

This doesn't look like my idea of fun.
Still, it's within reason. It's out of context here but the sentence seems okay to me apart from "se relacionada" instead of se relaciona or está relacionada.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Author of text's "clarification"

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs