Mobile menu

Word Count
Thread poster: stephanieL
English to Italian
Sep 30, 2008

I have been sent a note pad document with text to translate and a translation software to use for it. The text consists of a series of messages which compose a software.

The messages read, for example: Title: text to be translated; Content: ...; etc. The labels aren't to be translated. How do I operate a word count? Especially, since part of the text (labels) must not be translated? How do I charge my client? ...

Thank you for your help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Edward Plaisance Jr  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:03
Member (2008)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
Count the labels; use MS Word's word count feature Oct 1, 2008

I would tell the client the charge would be for the total word count in the target language and that I would use MS Word's word count feature (it is located under Tools in the Menu Bar at the top). It automatically counts the words for you. And they can double check if they want to.

I figure that my time is really the only thing I can sell, so if I want to take the time to count the words not translated versus the ones translated, I will charge more per word. It is just easier to include those labels as translated words. Besides you still need to type all those words into the text, even if they are not translated. Even if they were translated, they would be repetitively entered and counted each time as a translated my opinion it would be like not counting the speakers names in doing a translation of a transcription.

English to Italian
Charge should be per word in source text? Oct 1, 2008

Hi Edward,

Thank you for your reply. A quick word to say firstly, that normally one would charge per word in source language rather than target one? Also and very importantly, I would not have to type in the labels, as all those messages are automatically loaded onto the translation software, so all I have to do is write the equivalent in Italian (source is French), ignoring the labels. This is why I think ideally, I should not be counting them.

Thank you.

Anderson Zheng
Local time: 09:03
English to Chinese
+ ...
my suggestion Oct 6, 2008

Maybe you can cout the words in this way:

Copy the text into a new Microsoft word document, and use the Replace feature of Microsoft word to replace the part that must not be translated into space, then you can use the Word Count feature to get the exact count.

If you include the untranslated part in your final word count, that's unfair and unacceptable to your client.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word Count

Advanced search

Translation news PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs