Translation certification and language certification
Thread poster: hfp
hfp
United States
Local time: 08:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 8, 2008

Hey, everyone. I am looking for exams that certify translation skills, in addition to exams that certify language proficiency. For example, for non-native speakers of English there is the TOEFL, and for non-native speakers of Spanish, there is the DELE. I know of the American Translators Association's Spanish to English exam along with their English to Spanish exam, but that is about all I know. I appreciate your time.

Direct link Reply with quote

Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:00
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Certified by whom as what? Oct 8, 2008

There are a lot of certification examinations out there, so many that when I worked at a translation agency, that was one of the questions I'd ask anyone who claimed to be certified. In addition to tests checking language skills, there are tests of interpreting skills. (The National Association of Judiciary Interpreters and Translators, the Commonwealth of Virginia and the University of Arizona, for example, administer such examinations.) And some of these exams are valued more highly than others.

Running "translation examination certification" (as three separate words) through your favorite search engine should generate plenty of hits. Before making a commitment to take an examination, I would recommend asking a potential employer or someone you trust about whether this is or is not a good examination. You don't want to spend lots of money to take an examination and then find it's considered worthless by your potential clients.

You should also find out if there are any examinations you should be studying for. For example, I understand that if you want to work as a French translator for the Province of Manitoba, you need to be certified by a body in that province. If that's where you want to work, you should pursue taking that examination.

autor  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:00
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Try City University, London Oct 8, 2008

Good for distanance learning preparation courses for exams for Institute of Linguists.

hfp
United States
Local time: 08:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 8, 2008

Thanks for responding, Paul. I am interested in tests of interpreting skills as well. At this time I am in Santiago, Chile, but eventually I will be returning to the U.S. I am considering the Federal Court Interpreter Certification Examination in the United States, maybe in 2009, if I am in the country. The National Association of Judiciary Interpreters and Translators is not something I am very familiar with, but I will do some research. Thanks for your help.

Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:00
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
There is the CIOL Diploma in Translation Oct 8, 2008

The Diploma in Translation is organised by the Chartered Institute of Linguists/IOL Educational Trust based in London.

You can find out more about it at this link:

http://www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/exams_diptrans.asp

Autor mentioned City University, London.

This university offers distance learning training courses to prepare you for the Dip Trans examinations.

I did one of these courses for each language combination and I was very satisfied.

Best regards,
Paul

Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
IoL tests in the US Oct 8, 2008

Good luck trying to find a place in the US to take one of their tests -- at least a Dip Trans test. After taking a terrific on-line prep course from Cardiff University, not only could I not find a place in either southern Canada or northeastern US that would adminster the test (including British Councils and the British Embassy and Consulates); but also, when, after searching everywhere they recommended on their web page and finding nothing, I emailed the IoL for help-- they simply did not answer. Two different people there, one of whom was recommended by my IoL test tutor, contacted two weeks apart, simply did not answer.

I just joined the ATA last week and will start studying for their test. Does anyone know of on-line ATA Spanish>English test prep classes? Or should I be starting another thread? If so, moderator feel free to delete.

Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Look at the specific state Oct 9, 2008

hfp wrote:

Thanks for responding, Paul. I am interested in tests of interpreting skills as well. At this time I am in Santiago, Chile, but eventually I will be returning to the U.S. I am considering the Federal Court Interpreter Certification Examination in the United States, maybe in 2009, if I am in the country. The National Association of Judiciary Interpreters and Translators is not something I am very familiar with, but I will do some research. Thanks for your help.

I assume you already know which state you plan to settle in. I would recommend you run [name of state] court interpreter through your favorite search engine. That should let you determine what the requirements are for that state. In addition, if you can get some Chilean credentials before you leave the country, I highly recommend it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation certification and language certification

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs