Nadja Leonard
Nadja Leonard
United States
Local time: 15:44
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 12, 2003

I have been asked for the first time to "certify" a translation. I have not yet accepted the project and would like to know exactly what it means to certify a translation. I have noticed requests for certified translations on the job board as well.
Should I charge extra to certify the translation?
Thank you for your thoughts.
Nadja

[Edited at 2003-06-12 21:03]

[Edited at 2003-06-12 21:03]

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:44
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Notarizing Jun 12, 2003

Hi Nadja,
ask the client if they have a ready form to certify this particular translation. In the US it is a simple form where you state that you are fluent in both languages and that the document you have translated is true and correct to the best of your ability. Then you take this to a notary to notarize it. Please contact me directly if you want me to send my Certificate of Translation to you, so you can see how it looks. As far as charging more, it is up to you. Most of the companies
... See more
Hi Nadja,
ask the client if they have a ready form to certify this particular translation. In the US it is a simple form where you state that you are fluent in both languages and that the document you have translated is true and correct to the best of your ability. Then you take this to a notary to notarize it. Please contact me directly if you want me to send my Certificate of Translation to you, so you can see how it looks. As far as charging more, it is up to you. Most of the companies offer to pay for this service.
Hope this help
Monika
monika @ albaniantranslators.com

[Edited at 2006-05-23 00:14]
Collapse

Nadja Leonard
Nadja Leonard
United States
Local time: 15:44
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your help Jun 12, 2003

Thank you, Monika, for answering my question.

Nadja

[Edited at 2003-06-12 21:41]

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:44
Georgian to English
+ ...
Subject to the caveat that definitions of Certified, Sworn......... Jun 13, 2003

(and other procedure) translations vary from country to country.

Just in case it helps readers from outside the US, or who need to do work for a different country.

[Edited at 2003-06-13 15:09]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What does it mean to certify a translation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »