Transcom Global Ltd.
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:39
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
Oct 16, 2008

Hello,

I would like to know how abundant is the unit of measure Bushel in the US versus the UK.
Is it scarcely used in both countries?
Is it more common in the US than in the UK?

Thanks!

Janet Ross Snyder
Janet Ross Snyder  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:39
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
It's the standard unit of measurement for grain Oct 16, 2008

Having lived in Kansas, also known as "The Wheat State", I can assure you that the word bushel is in common use in the US. The price of wheat and certain other grains is expressed in dollars per bushel and the yield is expressed in bushels per acre.
Quoting from the U.S. Department of Agriculture website: http://search.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/jo_gr110.txt
"Portland, OR (Oreg
... See more
Having lived in Kansas, also known as "The Wheat State", I can assure you that the word bushel is in common use in the US. The price of wheat and certain other grains is expressed in dollars per bushel and the yield is expressed in bushels per acre.
Quoting from the U.S. Department of Agriculture website: http://search.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/jo_gr110.txt
"Portland, OR (Oregon) Wed Oct 15, 2008 USDA Market News

Portland Daily Grain Report
Bids as of 11:30 a.m.; Subject to change

Bids for grains delivered to Portland, Oregon during October by
rail or barge, in dollars per bushel, except oats, corn and barley, in
dollars per cwt."

I checked on the Chicago Board of Trade website, and it seems that their pricing is in dollars per ton.
Collapse

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:39
German to English
Different UK/US usage Oct 16, 2008

TransCom-Global wrote:I would like to know how abundant is the unit of measure Bushel in the US versus the UK.
Is it scarcely used in both countries?
Is it more common in the US than in the UK?

Purely off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure the bushel was abolished in the UK round about the time we joined the EC, or shortly thereafter, so probably sometime in the first half of the 70s. This means that, for the UK at least, you'll only normally find the term in historical documents.

From the time back in the early 90s when I used to translate agro-industry texts, I remember that the bushel is still a standard measure in the United States, though the actual volume differs from crop to crop.

I'm sure this is the sort of question a bit of judicious web research will help you resolve.

Robin

Transcom Global Ltd.
Transcom Global Ltd.
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:39
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much for your answers Oct 16, 2008

I appreciate the time you took to answer my question.
Both answers combined were of great help.
Best wishes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The frequency of the word Bushel in US vs UK

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »