Winalign - aligning texts line by line
Thread poster: because Group

because Group  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:26
Member (2007)
Oct 17, 2008

Hello,

I have two files two align. At first the translation was in form of a table: the source text
is on the left and the translation on the right (every line contains one sentence).

As Winalign does not recognise the source text and the translation in one table I created one file containing the source text and one file containing the translation.

I would like to align the sentences but Winalign does not align correctly the two files. Is there a command to align line by line?

Thanks.

Bye Verena

Direct link Reply with quote

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Two ways to create a TM from aligned files Oct 17, 2008

-SM- wrote:

I have two files two align. At first the translation was in form of a table: the source text
is on the left and the translation on the right (every line contains one sentence).

Bye Verena

Hi Verena,
Your text is already aligned - so no need to let Winalign botch it.
There are two easy ways to create a TM from it:
1.) A direct method is given here: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/59306-creating_tm_by_aligning_excel_rows.html#451872
2.) Download Wordfast's PlusTools add-in; it is free. The alignment module is way more user-friendly than Winalign, so it may be handy in new (real) alignment projects. Then create an alignment project from two short files (anything). Plustools creates a two-column table that you can edit. Delete whatever has been inserted from this dummy alignment project, and add your real table. Then click you can send it to the TM directly. You may need to read some basic things in the Wordfast manual - but it is a very little investment of time, and it will be extremely useful in the future.
HTH,
Attila

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
There's other ways to do it Oct 17, 2008

... At first the translation was in form of a table: the source text
is on the left and the translation on the right (every line contains one sentence)...

PlusToyz plug-in for word by Alexej Visotski will transform a file with a two-column word table into a bilingual RTF file that can then be used to feed the translation memory.

To take this original file apart into two (source and target) and then try to come back to synchronized contents via WinAlign, is absolutely crazy, to say the least.

PlusToyz has been mentioned and recommended again and again (*) on ProZ. Here's the URL http://www.geocities.com/avvysotsky/PlusToyz.zip

Regards

Vito

*: ... lately by Attila (the entry just above). I think I need new glasses ...

[urejeno ob 2008-10-17 11:03]

because Group  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
TOPIC STARTER
It worked Oct 27, 2008

Hello!

It worked. Thank you very much.

Bye Verena

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Winalign - aligning texts line by line

Advanced search

Translation news

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs