Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Cannot find my unzipped MS Word files
Thread poster: Kim Metzger

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:21
German to English
Jun 16, 2003

I'm using MS Word 2002 in Windows XP and I'm trying to solve a mystery. On two occasions this morning I unzipped Word files and tried to move them from Unzipped to the proper location, but when I go to the location they are nowhere to be found. The files have been moved somewhere, but not where they belong. Can anyone guess what's going on?
TIA Kim

[Edited at 2003-06-17 15:07]

Direct link Reply with quote

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:21
German to English
+ ...
Not sure I understand ... Jun 16, 2003

Hi Kim,

I'm not sure I understand what your problem is ... how are you unzipping the files?

Regards

Mary

Mexico
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Unzipping Jun 16, 2003

[quote]Mary Richards wrote:

I'm not sure I understand what your problem is ... how are you unzipping the files?

I use WinZip 8.1 and unzip the file. After I have the Word files I go to My Computer and click on C:. Then I go to Unzipped and click on the file I just unzipped. I click on Move this File and send it to the proper location. But it's not there.
I can still get the file in Unzipped but I'd really like to find out why it's not being sent to the directory. I've done this several times and now when I try to move a file that I already moved, I'm told it's already there.

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:21
German to English
+ ...
Can you 'Find' the files? Jun 16, 2003

If you search for the files on your computer, 'Start' - 'Search' - 'For files or folders', can you find out where the files have gone?

Or can you just extract the files directly to the location you want?

Not sure if this is helping much! I'm a PKZip girl myself!

Mexico
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I can find the files Jun 16, 2003

Yes, I can find the files using Search, but I don't know how to tell where they have gone.
I wish I knew how to extract the files directly to the location in WinZip.

Thanks for your help.

Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 05:21
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Windows Commander or File Manager or... Jun 16, 2003

through Control panel or left-click on Start > Search > Files and folders

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
Kim, try this: Jun 16, 2003

Create a folder called TEMP. Move the .zip file to this folder, then start unzipping. There should be an option like "unzip here" or "unzip to the current location". With this option you should have the .zip and .doc file in the same TEMP folder.

P.S. Maybe it's a .txt or .rtf file, and you are still looking for a .doc file?

Best regards

Andrzej

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Look in Winzip Jun 16, 2003

If you open the Winzip "Options" menu, go to "Configuration" and then click on "Folders". There you will have a list of options, including an "Extract to..."

This may help in looking for your lost file(s)

Otherwise, if you haven't deleted the ZIP file, just unzip it again, but this time try to keep track of where the files are going

Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Just extract directly to the file you want? Jun 16, 2003

Kim Metzger wrote:

Hi Kim,

When I unzip with Winzip, it always asks me where I want to extract the files. Could you try this, i.e. unzipping them directly to the place where you want them? I click on extract, and then in the window it says "extract to", and you can either type the path name directly or, on the right, just browse through your file folders and select the right place.

If you're using winzip in that semi-automatic "wizard" mode, it may not ask you about this/let you specify target path. In this case I'd try switching to the more "verbose" mode (not exactly sure how to do this, I'm hoping it will be self-explanatory). Hope that helps a bit.

Michele

Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Another idea Jun 16, 2003

This still doesn't answer the question of why you had problems, but another idea would be to put the zip file in the folder where you want it, then right click the zip file with the mouse. For me, the option pops up Winzip > extract to here (plus a bunch of other options: extract to other folder, extract to, configure, etc). Extract to here unszips the file right there for me.

MJ

muhammad turman  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:21
English to Arabic
+ ...
Click Right and go to "containing folder" Jun 16, 2003

Kim Metzger wrote:

Yes, I can find the files using Search, but I don't know how to tell where they have gone.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Kim,

If You want to know where your files have gone, just click right on the file (the file you found using Search) then go to "containing folder", this will direct you to the folder where the file has been saved. You can then save it wherever you want.

HTH
Muhammad

Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
Try searching in Local Settings, Temp Folder Jun 16, 2003

I had a similar experience the first time when I couldn't find the unzipped files . It happened when I didn't specify the location where I wanted them to be after they were unzipped. It seems that they are automatically sent to Document and Settings, User Name, Local Settings, Temp Folder.

To view Local Settings at all, you must choose the option "View hidden files".

Best regards,

[Edited at 2003-06-16 20:58]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 11:21
Partial member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Unzipped file in temp folder Jun 17, 2003

The Winzip 8.1 file that is unzipped is usually in temp or tmp folder unless you specify another folder. 'Configuration' in Winzip can tell where it is.
Soonthon L.

Mexico
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much, everyone. Jun 17, 2003

Michele's solution was just right for me. Download the zip file to the appropriate folder and right click on the zip file, etc. I have to admit that I've been using WinZip for years and have always managed to muddle through without studying the instructions. This was just what the doctor ordered.

Michele Johnson wrote:

This still doesn't answer the question of why you had problems, but another idea would be to put the zip file in the folder where you want it, then right click the zip file with the mouse. For me, the option pops up Winzip > extract to here (plus a bunch of other options: extract to other folder, extract to, configure, etc). Extract to here unszips the file right there for me.

MJ

invguy  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 06:21
English to Bulgarian
Some more on unzipping Jun 17, 2003

Kim,

Here's something you could find handy in the future.

After you double-click on a ZIP file, the WinZip window opens and you can see in it the files contained in the archive.

In Explorer, go to the directory where you want to unzip the files.

Go back to the WinZip window, select the file(s) you want to unzip, click-and-drag them with the mouse and drop them into the desired directory in the Explorer window (of course, the two windows need to be visible simultaneously - at least partly).

Alternative (if for some reason you can't see both windows at the same time): drag the files and hold them for a moment over the Explorer session icon in the taskbar. The Explorer window will open in the foreground. Drop the files into the desired folder.

Note: the above referred to dropping the files into the right Explorer pane (where the contents of the folder are shown). You can also drag-and-drop them onto the folder name in the tree (left pane). Only, 'aim' precisely - try not to drop them onto the next folder's name instead...

Hope this helps.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot find my unzipped MS Word files

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs