Thread poster: CBY
CBY  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:37
English to French
+ ...
Oct 23, 2008

Hi everybody,

I bought Trados some time ago and I don't master it totally...
I have a potential new client that works under Transit.

Do you think it would be possible to import Transit memory into Trados, translate and then export the memory for the client.
A new question also arises to me : I will have to clean the files after the client has done its corrections or am I wrong ? Or will they be able to dealt with these corrections internally (as the usually do) in their Transit ? Then do I have to supply cleaned or uncleaned files ?

Thanks for your help !

[Edited at 2008-10-23 10:37]

Direct link Reply with quote

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Only if you want to drive that client mad Oct 23, 2008

Transit uses a slightly different concept and the client is most likely to give you a Transit project which contains the files to be translated and the reference material all in one. You can process this either using the free available Transit Satellite PE version or you may choose to extract the so-called "language pairs" from the project (they are in XML format) and process them, for instance, in TagEditor, but this way is not without stones, so you better make sure you know what you are doing.

Just translating a Word file and returning this to the client (regardless wether clean or unclean) along with a TMX export of your Trados memory is probably the best way to loose this client. He will expect a TXF file.

[Edited at 2008-10-23 12:41]

CBY  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Oct 23, 2008

for your answer.
I just used TagEditor for a translation, it is not too complicate (except that everything was supplied by this client : memory, files at the righ format and ini file).
All this sounds terribly complicate to me anyway...
They sent me a few files to make a try, I shall do this tomorrow.

Just for my information, why do you say that sending a word file and a memory export is the best way to loose the client ?

Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
It's (probably) not impossible, but... Oct 23, 2008

there are certain things to take care of to make sure that you get the right output that afterwards can be used by the client IN TRANSIT.
Personally, I do not use Trados, but I frequently process Transit language pairs in Deja Vu X. The procedure how to do that is described here: http://www.necco.ca/dv/sdlx_transit_wordfast.htm. Maybe a similar approach works in TagEditor.

Sending a Transit client a Trados-cleaned Word file and a memory export is probably kind of like sending your translation hand-written by fax (you've got the text haven't you? ). It is just not compatible to the client's system, that's what I meant.

CBY  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes Oct 23, 2008

I understand what you mean : they can't do anything with my file, even if it is uncleaned...
Mind you they can import the memory...
Once imported, you should able to use its content, no ?

I had a look at transite satellite PE.
That could be what we need, they say that we only have to use this software if the work has been prepared with transit pro...
I have windows XP, I don't know if it is compatible...

The thing is, this company wants to work with me (I'm a former employee) so we'll have to find a solution... There must be one. I'll have a look at the link you gave me later on...

Thanks a million for your help, Wolfgang !

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:37
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Why are you trying to do all these conversions? Use Transit Oct 23, 2008

You can get Transit Satellite PE for free.
If the client works with Transit, they have the full version and they will prepare the files for you that you can use them in Transit Satellite PE.
The interface and the concept of not having a separate TM is different from Trados, but you will learn it quickly. It is not difficult to work in Transit at all.
I would not try exporting stuff from it then process it in Trados and then try to stuff it back into Transit - it just doesn't worth it. You would be not gaining anything by working in Trados. At the same time you are risking problems with all those conversions.

I am telling you this from experience: I had been using Trados for years at the time when a client came along and requested the use of Transit, which I did not know at all. At first, when I installed and opened up Transit Satellite PE, I was like "yuck!" - and tried to see if I could avoid using it. Exporting it to Trados, and such...
But you know what? After trying Transit, and using it for a few hours, I got used to it and I was just as productive (if not more productive) than in Trados. I found it refreshingly fast, the fuzzy search worked well, and I liked the dictionary part, too (actually, much more than Trados's Multiterm). That job was over a 100,000 words, done as a team, and I am glad we worked in Transit. I still keep working for that client, and still in Transit. I used it under XP, and now I am using it under Vista, no problems whatsoever. No crashes, no messed-up formatting, no corrupted TM, nothing like that. (Unlike Trados, where I had all of those unfortunate experiences over the years.)

So, I suggest you try using Transit.

[Módosítva: 2008-10-23 13:47]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:37
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Ditto Oct 23, 2008

Just install Transit Satellite, view the tutorial and give it a try.
Transit is virtually bug-free software, so you'll have less problems than with Trados. Just look at these forum-lists, how many translators have problems with Trados in relation to those with Transit.
Regards
Heinrich

CBY  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
why not Oct 23, 2008

I think I will give it a try.
I did not know about it but if it works, it could make things easier for everybody.

As soon as I have completed my actual project, I shall install this and see !

Thanks

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Bug-free? Oct 23, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Just install Transit Satellite, view the tutorial and give it a try.
Transit is virtually bug-free software, so you'll have less problems than with Trados. Just look at these forum-lists, how many translators have problems with Trados in relation to those with Transit.
Regards
Heinrich

Heinrich, I get annoying messages in Trados as well as in Transit. No software is bug-free, no software is even 100 % compatible with its own native format. Yes, using Transit Satellite relieves you of many of the problems, but if you want to manage your TMs and glossaries, you will need to use the more professional versions of Transit. And this is where your problems start.

I couldn't say Transit is better than Trados or vice versa. Both of them have their pros and cons. To give an example, Transit is using wizards to create translation projects. That's why many users prefer Transit to Trados. And I hate Transit for exactly the same reason because I don't want any software to manipulate my files. I want to keep total control of them, copy, move and delete them with Total Commander and not via stupid Project Wizard windows so Transit can find my project files next time I open it.

So I would agree to your "give it a try"; give everything a try, that is. And see what suits you best.

[Upraveno: 2008-10-23 20:58]

naglaa elmohtady
Egypt
English
ask for help(Trados) Oct 27, 2008

hi,for every proffesional here, Actually am a girl from egypt ,graduated from language and translation english and french department and wish to work in my field of translation by the new software for me trados, i was working in an english magazine by manually without any software,i didn't use to work as a translator via net , so plzzzz i want your help by sending me to my mail, or by chating how to deal with Trados , how to complete my profile here ,how to get clients , deal with them,and how to transfer money.i need all these information.
thanks and waiting for any help

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:37
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Use Transit Oct 28, 2008

You can dowload the free version and use it for your client's projects. And you'll forget forever all those formatting issues related to translating the original files.

Transit is a very good translation tool, don't be afraid of it.

Have a nice day

Clarisa

Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Reasons why you shoud, reasons why you should not try Satellite Oct 28, 2008

The initial question was: can I use Trados for Transit clients. The answer is "yes, but". So there are 2 options: Conversion of language pairs or using Satellite. Inspite of the direction this thread seems to be headed for, I would encourage you to try the conversion option as well, just to see if it works for you and your client.

OK, Transit Satellite is certainly an option for people occasionally doing shorter projects, but I would not want to think of doing a 20k+ words project exclusively with Satellite. Because let's face it: it is a very limited tool that lacks many of the features the paid version boosts with (Does it have a spellchecker at all? Didn't find it yet.).

And on the other hand: you already might have built up a considerable TM yourself in another tool and you might want to use that material. Possible in Transit Satellite? I dare say not. In my case, this would mean working without a couple of hundred thousand TM entries built up within the last 10 years or so. Unthinkable!

I took the conversion route and I do serve quite a number of Transit clients without any major trouble (be it for the fact that I do not use Trados for this, but there should be a way to make even that happen).

However: I use Satellite as an additional tool to check the files after translation. I also have it running in the background in order to see whether it comes up with a fuzzy match my own tool fails to see (but mostly it is the other way round with my tool getting me more matches, simply because of my larger TM).

Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
I'm in a very similar spot Oct 28, 2008

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

Transit is a very good translation tool, don't be afraid of it.

Maybe so, but it's giving me fits right now. I normally use WordFast, my current client wants Transit.

I installed Transit Satellilte PE Version 3, Build 267 a while back and worked through the tutorial. I've been able to get the client's .PXF file into the application so that I can work with the text in Transit's editor (yes, yet another proprietary editor), but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get TermStar to accept the glossary they sent me. I keep getting:

TermStar database error:
The database TermStar Recieved does not exist! Please create it first then repeat this procedure.
Error receiving project.

I've found the received.mdb and TermStar.mdb under the db subdirectory, but don't why the application is not connecting to them (or how to make it connect). The glossary itself is in a .TXE file in the .PXF file (I renamed a copy to x.ZIP and looked around using winzip).

I guess some how I'll be able to limp through the project with Transit Satellite, but while I'm fiddling with Transit, I'm not translating.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit and trados

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs