Thread poster: Hannah Dorthea Nielsen
Hannah Dorthea Nielsen
Hannah Dorthea Nielsen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 03:35
German to Danish
+ ...
Oct 28, 2008

I have proofread a lot of files and will be paid per word in the target texts. But some of the texts are Power Point files. How can I count the words? If I try to copy all, I will have to copy each slide which will be rather timeconsuming and I am afraid I won't manage to copy the notes.
Does anyone know a trick that does it?

Best regards
Hannah

Samantha Hoffmann
Samantha Hoffmann  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
word counting in PPT Oct 28, 2008

see my reply at http://www.proz.com/forum/proofreading_editing_reviewing/119146-how_to_count_words_in_power_point_file.html

Regards,
Samantha

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
This has been discussed several times: Oct 28, 2008

for starters, look here: http://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/108659-wordcount_in_powerpoint.html

and try searching the forums.

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:35
German to English
+ ...
You might try looking at the file statistics Oct 28, 2008

These are found in the properties dialog. However, depending on the structure of your PPT, this may exclude quite a lot (embedded objects and bitmaps) from the count. Look at the links provided and do an archive search for the forums - this subject gets discussed often.

Peter Manda (X)
Peter Manda (X)
Local time: 21:35
German to English
+ ...
Why not use Wordfast Oct 28, 2008

if you use wordfast or a similar CAT, you end up with a sub-document that allows you to get the final word count ... You could also use other features in wordfast to get the original word count.
Maybe this works with TRADOS too ...?

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
How much time and energy to spend on word counting? Nov 17, 2008

I recently encountered a similar problem where an agency wanted me to translate a PowerPoint presentation which contained some slides with text that could be extracted to Wordfast and some where the translation had to be done on the slide itself. To further complicate it, some slides had embedded Excel spreadsheets and only the part of the spreadsheet visible for the presentation was to be translated.

On this occasion, as I was busy, I trusted the agency to provide the word count. I
... See more
I recently encountered a similar problem where an agency wanted me to translate a PowerPoint presentation which contained some slides with text that could be extracted to Wordfast and some where the translation had to be done on the slide itself. To further complicate it, some slides had embedded Excel spreadsheets and only the part of the spreadsheet visible for the presentation was to be translated.

On this occasion, as I was busy, I trusted the agency to provide the word count. I would certainly not want to do that on a regular basis, however, potentially I could spend more time counting the words then translating them!
Collapse

My Experience Dec 3, 2008

As a translator in a food company, I have no idea of how to perform the word counting, though I once translated some such-like files. Wordfast is a good tool. It benefits me somewhat to browsing this topic.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count in Power Point files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »