How to create a bilingual document?
Thread poster: Henning Holthusen

Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 15:00
English to German
+ ...
Nov 17, 2008

I want to create a bilingual document from a source and a target text I already have.
I'd like every paragraph to be in a nice little box, German paragraph on the left, English paragraph on the right.
I know this can be done in Word by using a table. I have done it before, using a tutorial I found on the web (or even on Proz, don't remember).
Unfortunately, I can't seem to find it anymore. Could someone point me to a tutorial or explain quickly how this works?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:00
English to Dutch
+ ...
Here's how Nov 17, 2008

In the German document, select all text, go to the Table menu and select Convert tot table. In the options, select 1 column and paragraph marker as delimitor.
Do the same in the Englisch document.
Now create a new document with a two column table. Copy the German table to the first column, and the English table to the second column. Done.

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 10:00
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
goto wordfast web-site for docs Nov 17, 2008

At the end of the user manual, there are some macros, including the one you need. WordFast uses the same markers as Trados. Just copy the macro to Word and run it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create a bilingual document?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs