How to create a bilingual document?
Thread poster: Henning Holthusen

Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 07:51
English to German
+ ...
Nov 17, 2008

I want to create a bilingual document from a source and a target text I already have.
I'd like every paragraph to be in a nice little box, German paragraph on the left, English paragraph on the right.
I know this can be done in Word by using a table. I have done it before, using a tutorial I found on the web (or even on Proz, don't remember).
Unfortunately, I can't seem to find it anymore. Could someone point me to a tutorial or explain quickly how this works?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:51
English to Dutch
+ ...
Here's how Nov 17, 2008

In the German document, select all text, go to the Table menu and select Convert tot table. In the options, select 1 column and paragraph marker as delimitor.
Do the same in the Englisch document.
Now create a new document with a two column table. Copy the German table to the first column, and the English table to the second column. Done.

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 01:51
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
goto wordfast web-site for docs Nov 17, 2008

At the end of the user manual, there are some macros, including the one you need. WordFast uses the same markers as Trados. Just copy the macro to Word and run it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create a bilingual document?

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs