Mobile menu

Computer Game Terminology and Glossaries
Thread poster: mpi
+ ...
Nov 28, 2008

Hi all,

I'm just starting to go into the computer game translation field and wondered where I can obtain glossaries of Sony and Nintendo terminology.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience in this area that they'd be willing to share?

Direct link Reply with quote
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:33
English to Serbian
+ ...
No idea, but... Nov 29, 2008

You could get latest issues of video-games magazines for the languages that you are working in, it could be quite helpful. Even better if you could spend at least a couple hours playing the game you are localizing (though that is not always possible of course.)

Mirella Soffio  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:33
English to Italian
+ ...
Ask your clients Nov 30, 2008

Platform glossaries are not available to the general public, but clients usually provide them with every assignment. They are updated regularly, so remember to always ask for the latest versions.

Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:33
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Clients Nov 30, 2008

My experience is that the client usually provides the glossaries that need to be followed.

Local time: 09:33
English to Chinese
Google search Feb 11, 2009

You can set up a glosary prior to translation by using Google search.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Computer Game Terminology and Glossaries

Advanced search

Translation news

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs